Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Insects, Arachnids, & Gastropods

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-03-2013, 01:43 PM   #11
POM Judge & Official Non Gardener

Now that the car is back home albeit parked across the way, might other (assuming more that the two who went for the long ride and hung out at PepBoys for a couple days, wasps return to the mirror nest?

I rearranged the mirror from inside the car. I think I heard a crunch, but I didn't want to go look. This afternoon the mailman parked his truck very close to it!

Roger said there was another nest inside the gas cap flap!

Remember the spider I had in the mirror for a couple years?
Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 05:38 PM   #12
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

I'd feel better going through the car wash thinking some of them "might" make it out but I'd make sure to warn those first hand-washers about them. That way, I wasn't intentionally killing the whole swarm with let's say...pesticides. Everything deserves a place to live but having chosen your mirror was a mistake. I'd hate to think of a passenger getting in WITH a following. Sooooo By By....

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 06:16 PM   #13

Wasp ~Unwelcome tenants in Birdhouses~

Besides my getting attacked a few weeks ago, and finding the wasp nest in my car mirror and gas cap, all my birdhouses have wasp nests!

~Hornets & Wasps~-p1560362-001.jpg I think this is a very beautiful sculpture, but found attached to the roof of this birdhouse. This is the side attached to the underside of the roof.

~Hornets & Wasps~-p1560352.jpg Nest is shown here on its side and the hole covered. Roger had to get the nails out so I could pry this nest out. I knew mud daubers had been entering it constantly. I'd rather have birds.

~Hornets & Wasps~-p1560340-001.jpg This nest was pried off the inside roof of this birdhouse

~Hornets & Wasps~-p1560333-001.jpg which had no birds either. Sad after we drove about a hundred miles and spent about a hundred dollars to get everything needed to attach it to an existing pole.

~Hornets & Wasps~-p1560324-001.jpg A couple more, one from a gourd birdhouse

And I see them entering my balcony ceiling, crawling up a space between the brick. No way to easily check the extent of damage up there either. Some here say they haven't seen many wasps or hornets this year. My overabundance of them is why.
Old 08-14-2013, 08:47 PM   #14

LOTS of them here. Our grandson got stung 6 times two weeks ago all in one unfortunate incident poor thing. LUCKY he wasn't allergic to them.

My son was traveling with my hubby last week while I was up at camp. I get a phone call telling me my son was in the HOSPITAL! I just about dropped....My hubby goes on to tell me all about how he got stung....started to itch, which then went into a rash on his arms then on down his entire body. He tells dad he thinks he's having some sort of an allergic reaction.

Meanwhile, Hubbies on the GPS searching for a nearby hospital.....Our son is now starting to turn purple, his eyes swelling and says something like.... I think I'm going down....OMG!!!! I was SOOOOO worried. Thank goodness Hubby located a hospital only three miles away. He grabbed a staff member and told them what had happened... they whisked him in ASAP!!!! I'V's, shots you name it and there I sat at camp.....worried sick we might loose him and I'm not able to be by his side....

I NEVER want to go through something such as that EVER again. It was HORRIBLE not knowing his progression, awaiting the phone calls. Just HORRIBLE. After a few hours, he was released and they continued on in their journey together. When he arrived home he made a kit to be kept at each of the camps and home. All pills, antihistamines, Benedryll and the like to keep the swelling down if it ever happens again.......

Now someone I was just talking to since, said that's all fine and dandy UNLESS it's progressed to the point he can't swallow...Oh boy, Now isn't THAT something great to hear when you think you have things covered. They said we should look into getting some sort of a shot that goes direct if he can't swallow the pills they suggested he take.

Funny thing is..He's NEVER had an allergic reaction to any sort of stings in the past.

Old 08-14-2013, 09:26 PM   #15

Wow, that was really scary! And it does sound as if he had an allergic reaction, in which case he needs to carry an Epi-pen st all times. It's by prescription.

My attack did not result in allergic reaction, just a lot of pain. Good luck to him.
Old 08-14-2013, 09:49 PM   #16

That's it! an Epi pen Thanks!!!!
I'm going over to suggest it to my son.

Old 08-14-2013, 09:51 PM   #17

Jeesh...Now my hubby says he "was" prescribed one. It would have been nice to know. Well at least I now feel much better about his well being.

Old 08-14-2013, 10:24 PM   #18
Alternate POM Judge

I always have trouble with hornets and wasps in my bird houses. I read to rub a bar of soap on the inside of the roof to keep them from building a nest. That didn't work. But this is the first year ever that I haven't seen any European hornets or yellow jackets on my property. That's a good thing. Usually I have lots of wasp nests In my barn overhang. None this year. There is a wasp we usually see on the horse manure. Don't know what it is but haven't seen any of them. Have had lots of Bumble bees.
EllenW is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hornets, wasps