Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Insects, Arachnids, & Gastropods

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-25-2013, 12:30 PM   #1
A Bee's Best Friend

Default Flowers on the roadside and water features...Bees.

Roadside Refuge: Put Your Mower Away

Quote:
Whether you are a rural landowner with a mile of roadside frontage, or a city dweller with a 10 foot-long parking strip, you can have a direct impact on protecting and providing roadside habitat.
Mow higher and less often to allow small wildflowers and clover to bloom.
Consider replacing areas of turf grass with wildflowers.
You can also remove the pavement itself -- at least in parking lots and driveways. Check out the website of Depave for inspiration and ideas
http://www.honeybeesuite.com/a-water...-for-the-bees/

Quote:
Overflow from the moss drips down the sides of the rocks, which remain wet throughout the summer. A bed of rocks below the structure acts as a drain for the rest of the water.
Bees have many options. They can take water straight from the emitters, from the moss, from the rocks, or from the ground underneath. Honey bees, native bees, and a variety of other pollinators can meet here for refreshment and conversation.

http://pollinators-welcome.blogspot.com/
Gloria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 04:18 PM   #2
Fox

2cents

One of my favorite "Why would you do that?" activities. We have some people in our area that mow the roadside with their lawnmowers for 1/8th of a mile on each side of their drive way; literally 1/4 mile of mowing each week. And I'm not talking about a little 6 foot strip on each side of the pavement so that people can walk without having to worry about ticks in tall grass like the one in the link.

This is all of the area from the pavement down to the bottom of the ditch and up to the treeline or field border on the other side of the ditch. And this is not just along little back roads, it's also along interstate highways!

Now I live in a rural area with a lot of relatively small farms. I can understand that a farmer seeing tall grass might be tugged by some psychological stimulus to 'harvest the hay'. But most of these people are not farmers, they wouldn't have a clue about how you get milk from a cow.

Some of these people actually seem to enjoy it; but I suspect it's much more likely that they are trying to satisfy some unconscious guilt about spending $5000 - $8000 of their hard earned money on a riding lawnmower. Spending half of their weekend time mowing grass might also help to alleviate that guilt. Why would anyone do that?!!

OK, I got that off my chest, I feel better now.
I will age, but I refuse to get old.
NEWisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 09:09 PM   #3
Official Plant Nerd

Hey you.... NEWisc.... pssst.... sorry to grab you in an unrelated thread but.... check out the teeny tiny photos rocker posted over here and tell me what your gut says about his plant, Late Spring Flowering Plant. Ignore the leaves.... I know they're not matching. I've got quite a few P. racemosa growing here but I haven't had alba for over 10 years.... the deer chowed down about 15 plants in 1 sitting. There are days I despise Bambi.... that was 1 of them.
Old 05-26-2013, 12:11 PM   #4
A Bee's Best Friend

NEWisc, my own son mows a really steep embankment along his few acres. He has been looking at planting some low growing stuff so as not to need mowing but so far nothing changes. Grr...

I like the water feature for bees idea. Maybe something not so big could be done.

http://pollinators-welcome.blogspot.com/
Gloria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 04:24 PM   #5
WG Fundraising Coordinator

Every time I hear about folks mowing areas that shouldn't (like steep embankments, pond edges, ditches, etc.) it makes me crazy! I've already related here about a man-made pond we had at a rented house that we stopped mowing down to the water's edge like the owners always did and they went nuts when they found out. I wish they'd just have stayed at their condo in Florida instead of visiting us. Immediately he went out with his weed whacker. UGH!
linrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 10:54 AM   #6
WG Operations, Facilitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWisc View Post
One of my favorite "Why would you do that?" activities. We have some people in our area that mow the roadside with their lawnmowers for 1/8th of a mile on each side of their drive way; literally 1/4 mile of mowing each week. And I'm not talking about a little 6 foot strip on each side of the pavement so that people can walk without having to worry about ticks in tall grass like the one in the link.......
I agree with NEWisc, I've always wondered this too!! Some people here literally mow acres with their riding lawn mowers! Not only is it a waste of time and gas, but I've always wondered why people would wipe out natural habitats for nothing.

I've let a large portion of my heavily shaded backyard go....it's filling in nicely with mosses and ferns. I've got another area out front that I've let nature reclaim as well, since the lawn chemical pusher doesn't live here anymore.

Tags
ditches, embankments, featuresbees, flowers, lawn mower, mow, mowing, road side, road ways, roadside, roadways, waste, water