Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Insects, Arachnids, & Gastropods

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-23-2012, 09:19 AM   #1
WG Fundraising Coordinator

Default Yellowjackets

Much to my dismay I found a yellowjacket nest in my prairie bed. It is very close to the house and yesterday Jason got stung just sitting on the deck. I know they are beneficial is some ways but they are too close to the house to let them stay. I know they build the nest in layers over the summer and the colony can get huge and then they get more aggresive come fall when they go scavenging.

So my question is, what's the best and safest way to eliminate the nest? I've read everything from shop vacs and boiling water to toxic stuff like gasoline and Sevin. Also, do they only have one entrance/exit or do they have a "backdoor" too? I need some help here folks!
linrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 09:29 AM   #2
The Bug Whisperer

To the best of my knowledge, these underground nests only have one opening.

The following is from a University of Minnesota extension service pub (http://www.extension.umn.edu/distrib.../dg3732.html):
"When yellowjackets are found nesting in the ground, first try pouring a soap and water solution into the entrance. Many types of soap will work, including dish and laundry soap. If that doesn't work, apply an insecticide into the nest opening. Be sure you use a product that is cleared for use in lawns or soil. Dusts are more effective than liquid insecticides because liquids do not always reach the nest. After you are sure all the wasps have been exterminated, cover the nest entrance with soil.
When treating ground-dwelling wasp nests, use one of the following insecticides: *
  • carbaryl (e.g. Sevin) as a dust
  • chlorpyrifos (e.g. Dursban) as a dust
  • carbaryl (e.g. Sevin) as a liquid concentrate
  • acephate (e.g. Orthene) as a liquid concentrate
  • diazinon as a liquid concentrate"

Henry Ward Beecher
suunto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 09:58 AM   #3
WG Fundraising Coordinator

Thanks suunto. I think I'll try the soap and water bit first. Should I try it after sundown when most of them are back in the nest or morning?
linrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 10:03 AM   #4
The Bug Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by linrose View Post
Thanks suunto. I think I'll try the soap and water bit first. Should I try it after sundown when most of them are back in the nest or morning?
Night would be best, especially if it is relatively cool. If you need to use a light, be sure that it is a red one (such as red LEDs or red plastic film over an ordinary flashlight), as the wasps do not appear to be sensitive to it. There still will be some risk of being stung, so be prepared...

Henry Ward Beecher
suunto is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
acephate, carbaryl, chlorpyrifos, diazinon, dursban, flying insects, ground nest, insects, nest, orthene, pest control, sevin, soap, sting, stings, stung, wasp, wasp nest, yellowjackets