Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Insects, Arachnids, & Gastropods

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-22-2012, 07:46 PM   #1
Curious George & UAOKA recipient

Default Flies as pollinators

I never realized how many flies come to flowers for nectar and/or flowers. I was taught that flowers pollinated by flies tend to have nasty odors, but I have seen them mostly on my rudebeckia. There are multiple kinds, which I have not gotten farther than tachinid fly or syrphid fly in identifying, but I am hopeful that none of them bite!
Attached Thumbnails
Flies as pollinators-fly-id-rudebeckia.jpg   Flies as pollinators-fly-rudebeckia-fulgida.jpg   Flies as pollinators-fly-rudebeckia.jpg   Flies as pollinators-syrphid-fly-web.jpg  

Turttle's pollinator garden
turttle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 11:58 PM   #2
Heron

I have seen flies similar to the one in your first photo. Hope someone ID's it for you!
BeeWonderful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 09:33 AM   #3
The Bug Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by turttle View Post
I never realized how many flies come to flowers for nectar and/or flowers. I was taught that flowers pollinated by flies tend to have nasty odors, but I have seen them mostly on my rudebeckia. There are multiple kinds, which I have not gotten farther than tachinid fly or syrphid fly in identifying, but I am hopeful that none of them bite!
The first one is a bee fly (Diptera: Bombyliidae), the next two are muscoid flies, possibly in the family Sarcophagidae, anf the last one is in the family Syrphidae (hover/flower flies). Flies will indeed pollinate a wide range of flowers, not just stinky ones!

Henry Ward Beecher
suunto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 08:13 PM   #4
Curious George & UAOKA recipient

Thanks, suunto. When I tried to id the flies, I had real difficulty trying to figure out the species. Is it my imagination or is it really really complicated?

Turttle's pollinator garden
turttle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 07:45 AM   #5
The Bug Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by turttle View Post
Thanks, suunto. When I tried to id the flies, I had real difficulty trying to figure out the species. Is it my imagination or is it really really complicated?
The order Diptera (true flies) is an enormous one, and very many species can be identified only by examining certain body parts under magnification.

Henry Ward Beecher
suunto is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bee fly, bombyliidae, diptera, flies, flower flies, flowers, fly, flying insects, hover fly, insects, muscoid, muscoid flies, pollinate, pollinators, sarcophagidae