Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening

Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening (http://www.wildlifegardeners.org/forum/wildlife-gardeners.php)
-   Insects, Arachnids, & Gastropods (http://www.wildlifegardeners.org/forum/insects-arachnids-gastropods/)
-   -   An Anomaly in Mating: Self-Castration Raises Reproductive Success (http://www.wildlifegardeners.org/forum/insects-arachnids-gastropods/10427-anomaly-mating-self-castration-raises-reproductive-success.html)

suunto 06-22-2012 04:46 PM

An Anomaly in Mating: Self-Castration Raises Reproductive Success

"Males of a tropical species of orb-web spider castrate themselves, either partly or fully, after mating. It might seem a self-destructive habit, but in removing their genitals, a new study reports, the spiders are actually improving their reproductive success.
By becoming a half eunuch or full eunuch, the spider reduces its weight by 4 to 9 percent. It then stands guard by the female it has mated with. Its lighter weight allows it to better fend off other males."

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/06/19/sc...ml?ref=science

turttle 06-22-2012 07:32 PM

Ouch! Where do you find these articles, suunto?

suunto 06-23-2012 07:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by turttle (Post 114507)

Only the Shadow knows - heh heh heh heh....

dapjwy 06-24-2012 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by turttle (Post 114507)

Funny, that is almost the exact same response I came up with...
Quote:

Originally Posted by suunto (Post 114560)
Only the Shadow knows - heh heh heh heh....

...great answer! I didn't post that question the other day, because I thought someone would say, "The New York Times, duh!".

...more than where the article came from, how exactly does one discover such a thing?!

dapjwy 06-24-2012 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dapjwy (Post 114623)

...how exactly does one discover such a thing?!

I mean, just how well-hung are thes little guys? :)

:blush

suunto 06-24-2012 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dapjwy (Post 114624)
I mean, just how well-hung are thes little guys? :)

:blush

You can get some idea from the image in the cited article - the male's sex organs are its palps (leg-like organs at the front of its cephalothorax). As the article stated, they constitute four to nine percent of the spider's body weight.

dapjwy 06-24-2012 12:59 PM

When I first saw this, I thought the goal was to avoid being cannibalized after mating, but I guess it is no guarantee...is the female less likely to cannibalize a castrated male?

Quote:

Originally Posted by suunto (Post 114638)
...they constitute four to nine percent of the spider's body weight.

So, if the human male were to have similar proportions...so, if a human male weighs 180... ...wow! ;)

suunto 06-25-2012 05:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dapjwy (Post 114643)
When I first saw this, I thought the goal was to avoid being cannibalized after mating, but I guess it is no guarantee...is the female less likely to cannibalize a castrated male?

The self-amputated palp(s) remains in the female's genital opening (she has two); thus preventing that from being used by another male, and the now lighter male supposedly has an agility advantage over a rival for the other opening...

dapjwy 06-25-2012 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suunto (Post 114773)
The self-amputated palp(s) remains in the female's genital opening...

Yes, I saw that in the picture...
Quote:

(she has two)

Quote:

...thus preventing that from being used by another male...

Now, I find these two facts even more interesting.

Equilibrium 06-25-2012 04:05 PM

A bug plug.... sorta funtions like a partial chastity belt!!! That's pretty wild.