Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Insects, Arachnids, & Gastropods

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-10-2012, 09:51 PM   #11
Heron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equilibrium View Post
"could you imagine a box arriving at your door filled with earwigs? I couldn't do that.... let alone think of the pleasure of catching all those earwigs!" Ummmm.... I'm ok with it.
Are you really???
BeeWonderful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 07:56 AM   #12
Salamander

can you send me a box.. I'll PM you my adress. I'm sure I could munch um. (Kidding)
GonativeAlex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 08:23 AM   #13
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
Originally Posted by GonativeAlex View Post
can you send me a box.. I'll PM you my adress. I'm sure I could munch um. (Kidding)
LOL...now that I did not expect!
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 05:54 PM   #14
Official Plant Nerd

"Are you really??? " Ya, I'd be ok with it if the postage wasn't so high. Sheesh... my little feathered piranhas have eaten literall everything I've tossed out for them to date with the exception of slugs and I can't even cross slugs off the list anymore since the Dorking chicks gobble those up like popcorn.
Old 06-16-2012, 03:48 PM   #15
Heron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equilibrium View Post
"Are you really??? " Ya, I'd be ok with it if the postage wasn't so high. Sheesh... my little feathered piranhas have eaten literall everything I've tossed out for them to date with the exception of slugs and I can't even cross slugs off the list anymore since the Dorking chicks gobble those up like popcorn.
How many chickens do you have? (Just curious, that's all)
BeeWonderful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 07:55 AM   #16
Official Plant Nerd

This spring I ordered a straight run of 25 Silver Gray Dorking day old chicks. A straight run means that the chicks arenít vent checked for sex so you get what you get and I was hoping Iíd get at least 5 females. That order came with 1 additional bonus chick thatís an unknown breed so there were a total of 26. There were issues with the timing of that order and I lost just under half of the chicks to freezing temps during transit. It happens. I have 16 chicks left of which 7 are female dorkings. We will be keeping 5 of the females. The males and 2 of the females will go to freezer camp. I placed another order from another hatchery for 30 black broiler day olds that were all destined for freezer camp and 5 male silver gray dorkings. Reason for the addition of the 5 male dorkings onto that order was that I needed a rooster for the females weíre keeping thatís from different lines. We lost 1 chick from the 2nd order the 1st night. It was crushed by the other chicks. That can happen.
--
We used to have 17 adult chickens plus 1 pet Black Ameraucana rooster but we had issues with hawks this spring that we have hopefully resolved.
--
In answer to your questionÖ. we currently have 12 adult pet chickens (barred rocks, black and blue ameraucanas, blue English orpingtons, and australorps), 16 chicks from the 1st order and 34 from the 2nd order for a total of 62 right now. Sounds like a lot but itís really not and I do have separate pens for the chicks. By the middle of September, we will be back down to our 12 adults + 5 Silver Gray Dorking pullets, and 1 Silver Gray Dorking cockerel. That will bring our total to 18 after all is said and done. We need a new pet Black Ameraucana rooster to replace Herschel for our pet female ameraucanas (theyíre the blue egg layers) and Iím working on that. Itís just that Iím picky and want a calm rooster that can be easily handled by any age kid.
--
Our chicken run is about 50 x 100. Our chicken coop is 8 x12. Itís insulated but not heated. Ideally, we should maintain 20 large fowl birds over winter for that size chicken coop. If all goes well, we will have 18 going into winter. We may have to provide supplemental heat to the coop during any stretches where the temps in the coop drop below 0 for any extended period of time. Hopefully by this time next year, we will have added more Black Ameraucana chickens. My goal is to have a closed flock of blue orpingtons (multi purpose meat bird and egg layer), black ameraucanas (multi purpose egg layer and meat bird), and silver gray dorkings (meat birds) within 2 years. The barred rocks and australorps (both are excellent egg layers that can multi task as meat) that we have are pets and they stay until they die but we wonít be replacing them.
--
For you, Iíd go for any large fowl docile breeds with smaller combs. Bantams wouldnít be the best for MN and neither would Cochins or any breed that has feathers on their legs. I donít think Iíd go beyond ordering 7 large fowl chicks. You will lose some. 3 can be tough on us because we have to watch which ever bird is lowest in the pecking order getting bullied. It will look ragged after a while. When there are 5 hens total, 2 are at the bottom of the pecking order and any time thereís more than 1 bird thatís low-man-totem-pole, those birds never seem to look all beat up.
--
The cost of feeding 5 large fowl birds a month would be about $12 for regular feed and about $18 for organic feed.

Tags
chickens, decomposing, ear, ear wig, earwig, earwigs, gardens, increase, insect, insects, matter, pests, scavengers, sightings, wigs