Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Insects, Arachnids, & Gastropods

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-15-2012, 11:28 PM   #1
Co-Administrator

bumblebee Making a Bumble Bee Garden

Quote:
Special Value to Bumble Bees

Recognized by pollination ecologists as attracting large numbers of bumble bees. This information was provided by the Pollinator Program at The Xerces Society for Invertebrate Conservation.
This webpage has a nice and easy way to select plants for a Bumble bee garden in your area. On the right side of the page you can select your state and specify your growing conditions.

NPIN: Recommended Native Plants - Special Value to Bumble Bees

Cirsium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 07:22 AM   #2
The Bug Whisperer

Very nice - thanks for the link!

Henry Ward Beecher
suunto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 09:56 AM   #3
Pope

This looks like an excellent resource, Cirsium. Thanks very much!
Hedgerowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 03:40 PM   #4
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

There are an awful lot of Asclepias spp. on that list (more than I knew existed)...so, I'll bet it won't just a bumblebee garden!
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 06:03 PM   #5
Heron

That's a wonderful resource to have. What really got me started on a wildlife garden was bumblebees, and reading the Xerces' Guide to Native Pollinators. I've always loved birds, and always loved gardening, but it was the bumblebees that got me started on native plants. It is so gratifying for me to see them busy at work in my yard, day in and day out. My goal is to continue to add plants useful for them. Especially spring bloomers...I need to do more work on those.
BeeWonderful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 09:13 PM   #6
Grub

This is great! I'm relieved to know that a lot of what I picked for my butterfly garden is good for bees too, so it will truly be a pollinator garden!
disuhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 10:33 AM   #7
Lungwort

Great info! I hope I can get more of these plants for my garden next spring!
I didn't see Golden Ragwort on there, but that stuff was mobbed with bees this spring in my yard. I think it is more popular with the smaller bees, though.
BeeWonderful, I would highly recommend G. Ragwort as a spring bloomer if you don't already have it! It's tough as nails and spreads nicely.
Helianthus is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
attract, attract bees, attract bumblebees, attract pollinators, bee, bee garden, bee gardens, bumble, bumble bee, bumble bee garden, bumblebee, garden, making, native plants, native pollinators, plants, plants for bees, pollinator garden