Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > General Gardening Boards > House Plants and Indoor Gardening

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2010, 09:42 PM   #1
WG Staff

Default 15 houseplants for improving indoor air quality

15 houseplants for improving indoor air quality
Julie Knapp

15 houseplants for improving indoor air quality | MNN - Mother Nature Network
excerpt from above:
Quote:
In the late '80s, NASA and the Associated Landscape Contractors of America studied houseplants as a way to purify the air in space facilities. They found several plants that filter out common volatile organic compounds (VOCs). Lucky for us the plants can also help clean indoor air on Earth, which is typically far more polluted than outdoor air. Other studies have since been published in the Journal of American Society of Horticultural Science further proving the science.
Old 03-08-2010, 09:42 PM   #2
WG Staff

Default Journal of American Society of Horticultural Science

Journal of American Society of Horticultural Science
Journal of the American Society for Horticultural Science
Old 03-10-2010, 02:18 AM   #3
Official Plant Nerd

My trustworthy aloe plant is good for something besides minor burns!!!
Old 03-11-2010, 08:46 PM   #4
Salamander

House plants are chicken soup for a homebound soul.
Old 02-11-2014, 10:52 AM   #5
Alternate POM Judge

I have been working on removing the English ivy in my hedgerow. I didn't realise that plants can purify your indoor air. This winter I took a bunch of English ivy cuttings and stuck them in potting soil. I have been keeping the soil moist. A lot of the ivy died. No loss there. Some of the ivy rooted and is growing. I have a spot where I can hang it once it really gets going.
Old 02-11-2014, 10:03 PM   #6
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Very cool. I missed this thread the first time around.

We actually have quite a few of those already. I wouldn't mind getting the one they refer to as Chinese evergreen. I'm not all that into house plants, but it is nice to have some green growing things inside the house...and Jeff seems to like them (and is responsible for most of that we have...but, somehow, I'm the one responsible for watering them!).
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 06:13 AM   #7
Rock Star

I just became interested in this idea of using houseplants to clean the indoor air so I was happy to see this topic here.

I bought 2 variegated english ivy for the 2 bathrooms with windows after reading they remove airborne fecal matter from the toilet flush.

For the kitchen I have 2 small palms since they are non toxic for pets and the conure, Pearlie lives there.

A large boston fern lives in the dining room, also non toxic for pets, but I don't expect it to survive into the winter when the house becomes too dry. Besides I am a known fern killer. Ferns are one of my favorite plants but they do not like living in my house.

I also purchased 2 peace lilies and a moth orchid to add to the pothos, spider plant, aloe and dracaena already in place.
will-o-wisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 05:42 AM   #8
Rock Star

To update on these houseplant additions, I lost one of the variegated ivy right away and the other is just staying the same size but all new leaves turn brown and die.
Any ivy experts to tell me what they need to grow well indoors?

In fact all new plants in the small new bathroom struggle.
I rotate them with the plants in the older bathroom to keep them healthy.
Differences of light, smaller quarters, new construction?

The 2 palms have been potted on to larger containers and are happy.

One is at the back of a wide half pot that is planted as a fairy garden with a few pieces of sedum ternatum I took from the outside.

The other palm is living in the kitchen in a lovely brown pot with small feet and an Asian inspired design incised on the side.
This one also has a tiny bird bath, a small brown ceramic toad and half the soil surface has pebbles in the shape of a a yin yang symbol.
It will probably go as a gift for a house warming.

Both peace lilies also struggled, tips of leaves turned brown as did all flower spaths immediately. But eventually they grew and were also potted up one size.

I don't know why I'm having so much trouble with houseplants that I grew in the past with ease.
will-o-wisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 04:31 PM   #9
Alternate POM Judge

I brought in Engish Ivy. It is pretty easy to grow. It seems to like it a little dry. I used to have lots of house plants but I don't have good places to grow them here. The cats will knock them over
Old 09-19-2015, 05:16 PM   #10
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

I've never any luck with the ivies. They always seem to get or carry in spider mites which does them in real quick!

Perhaps the peace burnt from too much sun or fertilizer additions?
Sometimes it's just a change of lighting or adjusting to your watering schedule verses what they were used to. They adjust accordingly by loosing or dropping a few leaves sometimes.

I brought all my houseplants outdoors yesterday and hosed them off. Transplanted quite a few into larger pots and gave the giants away to a complete stranger so I can now walk through my plant room once again. Mine do all too well sometimes. I'm down to about 26 now. Few years back I had over 70 some. As I'm maturing I'm even simplifying my indoor items when and where I can.

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air, houseplants, improving, indoor, quality