Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Reduce That Ecological Footprint > North American News and Current Events > Hey, that's interesting!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-09-2011, 02:20 PM   #1
A Bee's Best Friend

Default Chicago, sustainable storm water management

On the BBC, London looks to Chicago for workable solution. We have the deep tunnel they speak of building and it has not proven the answer to the heavy flooding rains causing havoc. So Chicago went to work slowing down the storm water run off. The work is ongoing and is a project worth watching.

http://pollinators-welcome.blogspot.com/
Gloria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 04:18 PM   #2
Great Horned Owl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gloria View Post
On the BBC, London looks to Chicago for workable solution. We have the deep tunnel they speak of building and it has not proven the answer to the heavy flooding rains causing havoc. So Chicago went to work slowing down the storm water run off. The work is ongoing and is a project worth watching.

‪Super Sewer Chicago‬‏ - YouTube
Gloria, who is the enlightened one who is the catalyst for these green initiatives? First it was the bee project and now a permiable ground water initiative. Seems Chicago is becoming a model city for other places to learn from.

Oracle at Delphi
jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 07:18 PM   #3
A Bee's Best Friend

I don't know if you could ever say it was just one person. But Richard Daley, the Mayor for 26 years was determined to find a way to change city living in a way that would bring back some of the fleeing suburbanites and give the next generation a reason to live in the city. He was open to ideas and traveled the world looking for solutions to urban problems. Plus he had the money. The new Mayor is facing tightening the money belt and innovation is costly. We are all waiting and hoping for the best.

http://pollinators-welcome.blogspot.com/
Gloria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 08:47 PM   #4
Heron

I thought the video was good as Chicago, Detroit, Cleveland, and Milwaukee are all riverfront towns that years ago could get away with dumping storm water directly into rivers that flowed into the great lakes. First they filled in streams after they started overflowing. Then the sewers became overwhelmed and bigger ones were built. Now they build sewers big enough to drive trucks through. Those break too and won't last forever. I like the area around Wrigley Field and have seen a few cubs games. Wrigley Field takes up the whole block and their isn't much parking, So you take mass transit to the ballgame or walk. Or if you live in the Apartment across the street you have your own bleachers on the roof. When I was going to an afternoon game the fire-station across the street has a resident Dalmatian. I've also been to the "World" music Am-phi-Theater and noticed quite a bit a real prairie in the area. Driving on Cicero you notice wild green-spaces that the city fenced off. Another thing they have are snow-lots where they pile the snow from the streets to melt adding to the groundwater and I imagine make some nice tobaggon hills.
Third year they leap; So plant some today
sprucetree is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chicago, management, storm, sustainable, water