Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Reduce That Ecological Footprint > North American News and Current Events > Hey, that's interesting!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-04-2010, 10:54 AM   #1
A Bee's Best Friend

Default A prescription for what ails you.

Benefits of Prescribing Nature - National Wildlife Federation

Quote:
So don’t be surprised if, at your next visit to the doctor, you are handed a trail map and itinerary along with your lab slip.
In fact, if you are not offered one, you should demand it.
And once you set foot on the trail, how hard should you exercise?
I like what Dr. Kennedy tells her patients:
“Hard enough that you can still talk in sentences but not in paragraphs.”

http://pollinators-welcome.blogspot.com/
Gloria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 11:59 PM   #2
Official Plant Nerd

We have a StairMaster too.... we never used it after the first month.... it turned into a very expensive sweater drying rack. My doctor came right out and told me "use it or lose it" so I think that Dr. Kennedy is right on the money!!! I started "using it".... not the StairMaster but my body. The StairMaster was one of the stupider things we bought. It's boring using it. Much better getting out in the sunlight and doing something that makes you sweat without having to stare at some wall in the house from an exercise machine!!! I'm way more active than I used to be and feel better than I did 20 years ago so I'm thinking getting outside is probably good for all of us. Really nice hearing about other MDs telling their patients to get outside. Neat article.

Tags
ails, benefits, exercise, exercising, health, healthy, human health, national wildlife federation, nwf, outdoor, outdoor activities, outdoor exercise, outdoors, prescribing nature, prescription, trails, walking, wilderness