Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Herps

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-31-2011, 11:08 PM   #11
Fox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equilibrium View Post
Bulu> Yes! That's definitely a Blue-spotted. Good eye for beauty!!! Truth be known on any given day in fall I can start lifting up the hundreds of stepping stones I've got through the uplands and 1 out of 10 will have a teeny tiny Blue-spotted underneath it but.... their numbers are in serious decline. I've got tigers here too... not in the same abundance though and what's really interesting is that my tigers have no markings on them what so ever. They're solid black but the shape of their heads is the give away. I've got more than my fair share of herpetologists crawling around here surveying on a regular basis because of my tiger population. It's kinda funny.... coupla times a year I'll come home.... I'll let out the dogs.... the dogs bee line it for a window well and there's a herpetologist I don't know peering up at my dogs in quasi panic mode. I look down and say hello.... they'll look up and say hello and that's about it.... we each go on about our "business".
That's...odd.
Old 09-02-2011, 10:43 AM   #12
Official Plant Nerd

I posted photos here of them a while ago. I thought it was odd too.... I sent my photos to a friend who's a herpotologist because it sure did look like a tiger salamander only no markings what so ever. He was on my doorstep the next morning with bells on his toes and.... he told his friends who started showing up. What a hoot. I could care less but it is strange finding folk in my window wells. I see their cars in my driveway so I know somebody's here.... I just don't expect to find them in a window well. I honestly haven't found any salamanders except blue spotted this year but.... I haven't exactly had time to look.
Old 09-04-2011, 10:32 PM   #13
Fox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equilibrium View Post
I posted photos here of them a while ago. I thought it was odd too.... I sent my photos to a friend who's a herpotologist because it sure did look like a tiger salamander only no markings what so ever. He was on my doorstep the next morning with bells on his toes and.... he told his friends who started showing up. What a hoot. I could care less but it is strange finding folk in my window wells. I see their cars in my driveway so I know somebody's here.... I just don't expect to find them in a window well. I honestly haven't found any salamanders except blue spotted this year but.... I haven't exactly had time to look.
Do chickens eat salamanders?
Old 09-04-2011, 10:42 PM   #14
Fox

Well, I did rescue this Ambush Bug from a spider web, but only because I had scared him into jumping off of the Goldenrod and into it. I picked him out and put him on my palm. At first he went all defensive, which seemed to consist of scrunching up and covering his face. When he saw he wasn't going to be eaten he straightened up and began cleaning the web off his body, then walked up my palm and looked at me. I placed him back on a Goldenrod flower where, presumably, he resumed his ambushin' ways.

Do you ever let emotion over ride logic...?-wasp-091a.jpgDo you ever let emotion over ride logic...?-wasp-092a.jpgDo you ever let emotion over ride logic...?-wasp-093a.jpgDo you ever let emotion over ride logic...?-wasp-094a.jpgDo you ever let emotion over ride logic...?-wasp-097.jpg
Old 09-04-2011, 10:46 PM   #15
Official Plant Nerd

If they can get their beaks on them they would. And frogs and mice are supposedly a delicacy. I've seen a neighbor's chickens go at a frog until there was nothing left of it. Sorta took me by surprise.... it was a good sized bullfrog. I've never seen one eat a mouse but everyone tells me they will. They definitely eat slugs too. I've given them big fat juicy slugs before and worms.
Old 09-04-2011, 11:11 PM   #16
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulucanagria View Post
Do chickens eat salamanders?
LOL! Such wit!

(hope not)
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 11:19 PM   #17
Official Plant Nerd

Really.... they would eat a salamander. A salamander wouldn't stand a chance against them... neither would a small snake. They'd go after it gang style. It's one of the reasons why I clipped the wings of the birds. I don't want them having free range of the property. I want them in their run far away from everything except the flies that are attracted to their poops. They can have as many flies as they want and earwigs too!!!

Tags
blue spotted, emotion, herpotologist, herps, lifecycle, logic, markings, rescue, ride, salamander, salamander photos, salamanders, snake, tiger salamander