Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Herps

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-11-2010, 09:52 PM   #1
Mentor

Default Some known reasons for declining snake populations

Snakes
Gale Schools - Environmental Resources - Endangered Species - Snakes

Gives a quick overview of the reasons many snake populations have declined with some examples from each major cause.
midwesternerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 10:42 PM   #2
Grub

One of my neighbors uses a landscaping company. They told her that she had poisonous snakes. The snakes are probably just black snakes. The landscaper told me that he took the snake away and released it into another area. Snakes don't relocate very well. The other neighbor had most of the vegetation removed in his backyard when he was told by someone renovating his house that they found poisonous snake skins.

Many snakes are killed because people don't understand them. They know nothing about their role in a habitat. They don't take the time to identify the nonvenomous snakes from the venomous ones.
Old 12-24-2010, 01:30 PM   #3
Mentor

Every snake is generally considered to be a copperhead or cottonmouth by some it seems. When I see a venomous snake, I stay more than the snake's body length away. At that distance, it's certainly harmless because it cannot strike that far. Same way I will walk under a power line safely because I am not going to physically touch the wires. Another common fear is that a pet dog will be bitten, yet I've never known one of these people to be willing to train the dog to avoid snakes (something that might actually be effective if they are that worried about it)
midwesternerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 04:35 PM   #4
The Bug Whisperer

An unfortunate fact of life around here is that so many locals believe that the only good snake is a dead snake (this may correlate with the number of Biblical literalists in the population). I do my best to correct this misapprehension, but I'm afraid that for the most part, it falls on deaf ears...

Henry Ward Beecher
suunto is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
altered wetlands, causes for decline, decline, declining, declining species, endangered, endangered snakes, exotic species, habitat, habitat loss, loss, pesticides, populations, reasons, snake, snakes, species decline, threat, threatened habitat, threatened species, wetlands