Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Herps

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-04-2010, 02:07 PM   #1
Heron

Default Spotted Salamander?

Wandering in the local woods today, I found a little Salamander under some debris, and I'm pretty sure it's a Spotted Salamander, Ambystoma maculatum.

Anyone here know for sure? It was a little thing, maybe 4" long at the most. The Tiger Salamanders that I see here are much larger with much more irregular markings. This one's spots were in two irregular rows on its back, no spots on the sides or undersides.

John
Spotted Salamander?-ambystoma-maculatum-dsc_2783.jpg

Spotted Salamander?-ambystoma-maculatum-dsc_2787.jpg

Spotted Salamander?-ambystoma-maculatum-dsc_2790.jpg
Old 10-04-2010, 02:38 PM   #2
POM Judge & Official Non Gardener

I think you're right and it's really cute!
Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 06:46 PM   #3
Mentor

It's a spotted salamander.
midwesternerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 11:14 PM   #4
Official Plant Nerd

Have you ever seen this site for us Illinoisans, INHS Amphibian & Reptile Collection? Ive got tigers with no bars and blue spotteds with no spots that I had to get a herpetologist out here to tell me what was going on so Im sorta lusting over that colorful beauty you found with the two rows of yellow spots!!! Look at the shape of its head and those protruding eyes beautiful. Sure does look like its A. maculatum to me too.
Old 10-05-2010, 09:46 AM   #5
Heron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage View Post
I think you're right and it's really cute!
Thanks Sage, glad you like it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwesternerr View Post
It's a spotted salamander.
Thanks Midwesternerr, your input is greatly appreciated, you're our expert.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equilibrium View Post
Have you ever seen this site for us Illinoisans, INHS Amphibian & Reptile Collection? Ive got tigers with no bars and blue spotteds with no spots that I had to get a herpetologist out here to tell me what was going on so Im sorta lusting over that colorful beauty you found with the two rows of yellow spots!!! Look at the shape of its head and those protruding eyes beautiful. Sure does look like its A. maculatum to me too.
Hi Equilibrium,

Yes, that's my go-to site for herps. I want to get photos of some of those beautiful Blue-spotted Salamanders next spring, they are amazing, aren't they? I wish we had more species of Salamanders around here, as I find them to be fascinating. I'll bet that the Indiana Dunes Lakeshore area near Cowles Bog would be a good place for them, maybe I'll try that next spring. I should also head down to my brother's place near Atlanta, GA, lots of salamanders down south.

I was initially 98% sure that I had a Spotted Salamander, but then a local friend tried to tell me that it was a Tiger. I thought I'd post here to see what other real nature nuts thought.

I was really happy to find such a beautiful, little creature on a day when it was totally unexpected. I didn't think I'd be seeing any herps until next year.

Thanks everyone,
John
Old 10-06-2010, 01:24 AM   #6
Official Plant Nerd

You know what I'd like to see??? A hellbender!!! Feast your eyes on this beauty, Welcome to this website about the conservation of hellbenders!!!! I've tried looking for them when I've been in their native range and I keep coming up hellbenderless.... woe is me.
Old 10-06-2010, 10:36 AM   #7
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

We have mud puppies...They must be in the same family. Ssssssslippery little buggers!

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 11:20 PM   #8
Heron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equilibrium View Post
You know what I'd like to see??? A hellbender!!! Feast your eyes on this beauty, Welcome to this website about the conservation of hellbenders!!!! I've tried looking for them when I've been in their native range and I keep coming up hellbenderless.... woe is me.
Looks like a smaller version of the much bigger Japanese Giant Salamanders. The exquisite Planet Earth series has an excellent segment on them.
Old 10-07-2010, 12:21 AM   #9
Official Plant Nerd

I didn't see the Planet Earth series on them but.... I was at a zoo in Northern Japan and saw one of the Japanese giants. Thank God I saw the one in captivity because we were hiking in a National Park in Hokkaido and ran into one in the wild and it was like 3' long. I'm not kidding you.... it was 2' long and there it was doing nothing. I thought it was dead but when I got too close it took off for the water. I knew what it was only because we'd just seen one that was even bigger. I don't know what I would have done if I'd run into a salamander on steroids like that without knowing there was a species that attained that size because your mind works in strange ways and all I was familiar with was tigers and blue spotteds and..... we know how tiny those are. I still wanna see a hellbender really bad!!!

Tags
amphibian, amphibians, hellbender, hellbenders, herp, herps, mud puppies, mud puppy, salamander, salamander photos, salamander species, salamaners, spotted, spotted salamander