Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Herps

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-06-2010, 11:06 AM   #1
Mentor

Default Amphibian Habitat

I show an example here of a small mudhole that is housing dozens or perhaps hundreds of tadpoles, one of the tads, and a frog rushing to his breeding site. It looks as if many will make it this year before it dries up. It doesn't take much space or effort to create such a pool for amphibians to complete this important phase of their life.
Attached Thumbnails
Amphibian Habitat-hab569.jpg   Amphibian Habitat-tad3916.jpg   Amphibian Habitat-gtfr.jpg  
midwesternerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 01:20 PM   #2
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwesternerr View Post
I show an example here of a small mudhole that is housing dozens or perhaps hundreds of tadpoles, one of the tads, and a frog rushing to his breeding site. It looks as if many will make it this year before it dries up. It doesn't take much space or effort to create such a pool for amphibians to complete this important phase of their life.
That is very attractive for something called a mudhole! Great pictures and you make a great point.

There is a drainage ditch near the edge of my property. I'll have to see if anything is growing up in there. The past two years here, I've uncovered a few salamanders in the yard. While moving rocks, I'd see something that looked like a worm at first, but something seemed off. Then as it moved, I'd see the legs and head. I'm thrilled to have them here, and I wonder if that is where they are breeding.

What is the difference between a salamander, newt, and eft?

Thanks,

dapjwy
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 02:01 PM   #3
Mentor

Hi, a newt is a salamander, but the term reduces which set of salamanders one is referring to down a little further. In the United States species of the Genus Notophthalmus and Taricha are considered newts because they either have bumpy, rough skin or the eft stage has bumpy, rough skin.

An eft is a land dwelling, immature stage of some newt species. The eft stage is sometimes brightly colored to warn predators not to eat them. They return to water at some point and generally live close to or in water thereafter.
midwesternerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 02:36 PM   #4
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

Quote:
What is the difference between a salamander, newt, and eft?
Amphibian Habitat-dscf5183-copy.jpg
Their eggs hatch in the water and start out as an aquatic dweller looking very similar to tiny little fish.
They have gills and eventually develop legs.
Amphibian Habitat-dscf5203.jpg
Once they loose their gills they turn into terrestrial juveniles... efts.
Amphibian Habitat-dscf5193.jpg
They mature into adult newts (a member of the salamander family) which returns to the water to breed to start the egg laying process all over again.
For viewing purposes I set her upon a leaf and then returned her to the water.
Amphibian Habitat-dscf5354.jpg
Their bellies are a lighter yellow. A form of camouflage which allows them to blend into the bright sky when viewed from below.

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 02:39 PM   #5
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

Ooops Guess it took me longer than expected to gather the photos.
I see midwesternerr has you covered...

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 06:49 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwesternerr View Post
Hi, a newt is a salamander, but the term reduces which set of salamanders one is referring to down a little further. In the United States species of the Genus Notophthalmus and Taricha are considered newts because they either have bumpy, rough skin or the eft stage has bumpy, rough skin.

An eft is a land dwelling, immature stage of some newt species. The eft stage is sometimes brightly colored to warn predators not to eat them. They return to water at some point and generally live close to or in water thereafter.
Thanks, midwesterner. So, I guess I'll just use the general term "salamander".
Old 06-06-2010, 06:54 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by havalotta View Post
Attachment 17185
Their eggs hatch in the water and start out as an aquatic dweller looking very similar to tiny little fish.
They have gills and eventually develop legs.
Attachment 17186
Once they loose their gills they turn into terrestrial juveniles... efts.
Attachment 17187
They mature into adult newts (a member of the salamander family) which returns to the water to breed to start the egg laying process all over again.
For viewing purposes I set her upon a leaf and then returned her to the water.
Attachment 17188
Their bellies are a lighter yellow. A form of camouflage which allows them to blend into the bright sky when viewed from below.
Great pictures, havalotta. Thank you.

I've heard/or read the terms before, but it has been a long time. I was a little unclear if it was a stage of the salamander's life or a separate species. I was too lazy to look it up myself so I posted here. I figured people like to share what they know anyway.

...and I got some nice pictures as well! =)
Old 06-06-2010, 06:55 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by havalotta View Post
Ooops Guess it took me longer than expected to gather the photos.
I see midwesternerr has you covered...
~smile~ That is the nature of a forum!

Tags
amphibian, amphibian habitat, amphibians, aquatic, aquatic dweller, aquatic life, aquatic species, eft, frog, frogs, habitat, newt, newts, notophthalmus, salamander, salamanders, tadpole, tadpoles, taricha