Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Herps

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2010, 01:07 AM   #11
Official Plant Nerd

Michigan has a Natural Heritage Program. It's buried somewhere at their site but.... their site is a real beast trying to search for contact info, https://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,1607,7-153-10370---,00.html Here's the one for my state, DNR Heritage biologists are a homeowner's friend. "It's the possibility of transferring a disease into his area that worries me the most.
Maybe I should kill the deal before it even starts with the big boys...." Disease is a two-way street. Your area has a viable community of salamanders... his doesn't or he wouldn't be trying to repopulate it. I'd be more concerned about transferring healthy salamanders into an unhealthy area incapable of supporting them. I still don't know if I'd kill anything so fast except moving salamanders and eggs around without digging into this deeper.... big boys are friends not foe. Amphibians are on the decline nationwide and habitat destruction, disease, and poaching contribute to the decline. There's a reason why this language is appearing a lot these days, "It shall be unlawful to kill, take, trap, possess, buy, sell, offer to buy or sell, barter, or attempt to take, trap, possess or barter any reptile or amphibian from the wild, or the eggs of any reptile or amphibian from the wild, except as provided within this order." Nobody will ever know all that's contributing to the decline necessitating such restrictive language but big boys will have the most clues and they aren't greedy about sharing what they know. Who knows... maybe the big boys already have some population trend monitoring to detect vegetative succession and invasion of non-native species that could interfere with breeding grounds completed and those big boys might already have an ongoing monitoring program in place to identify potential threats like… pesticide drift or land use changes and..... maybe the big boys can put you in contact with a team to conduct site surveys.... you won't know unless you reach out to them.
Old 03-12-2010, 01:44 AM   #12
Co-Administrator

You are in the Western UP (WUP) Ecoregion. Wildlife division contacts:
DNR - WUP Ecoteam Member Contacts

Cirsium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 11:20 AM   #13
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwesternerr View Post
There is a very real chance of disease spreading in both directions. His boots and collecting equipment can spread disease to your property, and the eggs and things used to collect them can spread disease to his as well.

So if that's the case..... All of the walk abouts I and others do in the various wooded settings could be disasters in the making?

I usually start looking for salamanders anytime it rains and it's over 40F. If he wants to do this project, he will need to get started right away by putting calls in and inviting researchers or the state herpetologist out. The breeding season is the best time for him to get his site surveyed to see what's already there.
TRUE! the two days of rain we just had, has melted all of the local snow. The wooded areas are not far behind.....

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 11:45 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equilibrium View Post
I still don't know if I'd kill anything so fast except moving salamanders and eggs around without digging into this deeper.... big boys are friends not foe.

Amphibians are on the decline nationwide and habitat destruction, disease, and poaching contribute to the decline. There's a reason why this language is appearing a lot these days, "It shall be unlawful to kill, take, trap, possess, buy, sell, offer to buy or sell, barter, or attempt to take, trap, possess or barter any reptile or amphibian from the wild, or the eggs of any reptile or amphibian from the wild, except as provided within this order."

I already knew about the taking and transferring laws around here.... That was another reasons why I've been so hesitant besides the possibility of transferring diseases.

Nobody will ever know all that's contributing to the decline necessitating such restrictive language but big boys will have the most clues and they aren't greedy about sharing what they know. Who knows... maybe the big boys already have some population trend monitoring to detect vegetative succession and invasion of non-native species that could interfere with breeding grounds completed and those big boys might already have an ongoing monitoring program in place to identify potential threats like… pesticide drift or land use changes and..... maybe the big boys can put you in contact with a team to conduct site surveys.... you won't know unless you reach out to them.
TRUE! I know the big boys are friends.
If it was just a matter of doing a little homework and getting permission to do so, Fine.
I guess I now have to decide if I really want an army of people involved? Someones going to have to pay them.... Who the taxpayers?
Is it all worth doing when so many people world wide need our help to merely exist? Then again... little creatures also need that very same help!

I'll try and contact the guy today to see if he has talked to any of those big boys. (An easier term I use instead of the specifics)

Old 03-12-2010, 07:27 PM   #15
Mentor

I know on University field trips in TN, they clean plastic containers with bleach between sites to reduce the risk of disease transmission and keep the containers clean. Regular, unscented bleach with no additives at 10-15% should be strong enough. Of course those containers are rinsed well and allowed to fully dry before being used again.

Clorox partners with Amphibian Ark

"Always disinfect your boots and equipment between field sites to reduce
the risk of transmitting any pathogen between populations"
http://www.parcplace.org/minutes/NEPARCMeeting2005.pdf
midwesternerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 07:29 AM   #16

Another good point.
I wasn't able to contact him yesterday, Hope to make some time today to do this.

Old 03-15-2010, 12:35 AM   #17

I went out for a visit and this is what I have learned....
He is a biologist and has spent extensive time researching what forms of life existed in the area before the farmlands took over... Clear cutting, tilling etc.
He then did a grounds analysis to get a count on what was currently existing there. (That would have been MANY years ago) Believe me, it wasn't much!

He has since restored the barren land through the addition of many, many trees, bushes and underbrush. I must say I can't believe this is the same land I once walked upon.
It has matured stupendously! Where once was a field there is a forest. Ponds flow and trickle peacefully from one to the next. The grasses blow in the breeze. Birds abound.
The most recent sight analysis reveals an astounding return of the birds, snakes, insects, frogs and even the salamanders. They are flourishing as they once were before the land was raped. He has done a tremendous amount of work and a remarkable job recreating their environment.

Let me state, I was wrong in my belief that the salamanders would be surrounded by a sunken screen.

He has already obtained a list of the movable species allowed in Michigan.
A few pairs, or possibly a cluster of eggs would be collected and re introduced to the land and left alone to multiply and spread naturally into their surroundings.
As far as the spreading of diseases..... People have been walking through these areas for decades. The land is by no means virgin anymore.....

Tags
breeding, eggs, frogs, habitat, herp video, herps, mating, peepers, reproduction, salamanders, spotted salamander, spring, spring peepers, video, wood frogs