Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Herps

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2010, 05:55 PM   #1
Mentor

Default Common Kingsnake video

Video on the common kingsnake (L. getula)

Short clip gives some basic information.
midwesternerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 02:01 PM   #2
Unicellular Fungi

Did you contribute any personal photos to the creation of the video?
Old 02-17-2010, 02:11 PM   #3
A Bee's Best Friend

How did I miss this for two days. Thank You midwesternerr, we don't see nearly enough about the common snakes of our area. Good photos.
Gloria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 02:23 PM   #4
WG Writer

Snakes in Alabama

There is some concern about the decline of kingsnakes in Alabama

Quote:
Prairie kingsnake. Lampropeltis calligaster calligaster. Peripheral and uncommon in Interior Plateau, and possibly Appalachian Plateau north of Tennessee River. Known from Madison County, and may occur in Limestone and Jackson Counties. A secretive and poorly known burrowing snake of open woodlands and grassy areas. HIGH CONSERVATION CONCERN.
Mole Kingsnake Lampropeltis calligaster rhombomaculata. Uncommon to rare in Coastal Plain, uncommon elsewhere. Thought to occur statewide, but records are lacking from substantial areas. A secretive burrowing snake of woods and fields. Occasionally found above ground after dark, especially after rains. MODERATE CONSERVATION CONCERN.
Eastern KingsnakeLampropeltis getula getula. Rare to uncommon, and possibly threatened. Found in south-central and eastern portion of Coastal Plain and adjacent Piedmont. Also known from Dauphin Island. A large, diurnal, conspicuous ground-dwelling snake of most terrestrial habitats. Formerly one of Alabama’s most commonly encountered snakes, it and speckled kingsnake have declined markedly for reasons not well understood. HIGH CONSERVATION CONCERN.
Speckled KingsnakeLampropeltis getula holbrooki. Rare to uncommon, and possibly threatened. Coastal Plain inhabitant, except for those portions occupied by eastern and black kingsnakes. Attains its greatest population densities in Blackland Prairie. This subspecies is similar in both habits and conservation status to eastern kingsnake. HIGH CONSERVATION CONCERN.
In Alabama, most outdoor workers believe that the only 'good' snake is a dead snake.
hazelnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 08:00 PM   #5
Mentor

Ya all of the pictures were mine. I actually found one of you and Hannah with a kingsnake while I was digging them up, if you ever need more photos of you two with snakes let me know

It's sad to say but kingsnakes are not doing well in parts of the southeast even where the habitat should be great for them and produced large quantities in the past. In MO, they are very common and hopefully they will stay that way.
midwesternerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 09:22 PM   #6
WG Writer

I tried to start a program to protect the kingsnakes on the State property where I worked. I asked the local extention agent for photos so that workers could identify the kingsnakes and not kill them. This was after a particularly gruesome killing that left bloody snake parts on the front porch of the historic building where I worked. He --the agent -- said ' personally I would just kill them.'

Unless we get better educational programs for forest and grounds people -- the kingsnakes and all others will be threatened in this part of the country.

As you can see from the list in the link above The Eastern Indigo is already threatened and possiblly gone.
hazelnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 06:06 PM   #7
Unicellular Fungi

Those photos simply had to be yours. Would they be from your new camera?

I would very much appreciate being sent the photo you found. Thank you so much for asking. The other photo is framed.

Tags
common, education, endangered snakes, endangered species, herp habitat, herps, kingsnake, kingsnake video, kingsnakes, l. getula, snake education, snake video, video