Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Herps

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2009, 08:04 AM   #41
The Bug Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadySapphire22 View Post
And what do you do if Igor decided he wants to do runnies? He's a big fella!
Although he can sprint quite fast for his bulk, he can't run very far. Iguanas lack a diaphragm and can't breath while running, thus he has to stop to get his breath. Usually, he just strolls about quite slowly, unless he spots one of the cats; then he gives chase! Our main concern is his getting out on the road that borders our yard; we keep a close eye on him, and herd him back when he gets too near the road.
suunto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 08:14 AM   #42
Heron

Hmmm, might this be a solution for a problem with feral cats? Do you rent Igor's services? LOL He really is a handsome fellow.

There can be no other occupation like gardening in which, if you were to creep up behind someone at their work, you would find them smiling. ~Mirabel Osler

LadySapphire22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 05:41 PM   #43
Unicellular Fungi

We've got lots of these guys, too...
Attached Thumbnails
~Photos of Herps~-p1000793.jpg   ~Photos of Herps~-dsc00184.jpg  
SquirrelFeeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 06:37 AM   #44
The Bug Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SquirrelFeeder View Post
We've got lots of these guys, too...
Impressive. How large do they get in your area? I've sometimes fantasized about having a 'trained' 'gator or croc as a burglar deterrent ....
Old 01-30-2009, 02:50 PM   #45
Unicellular Fungi

I don't know a whole lot about them myself, being a northern transplant. But we live right on a reservoir that's loaded with them. I think gators can get up to 10-11', but I don't know if they do around here. The authorities won't deal with them at all unless they're at least 6 feet. They don't really bother you unless you threaten them or get too close to their nest during breeding season. In the pics above, the first one is pretty good size and the second one was just a little guy hanging out watching us lake raking. It's pretty cool at night to shine a light out over the water...you can see their red eyes glowing back at you...
SquirrelFeeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 05:24 PM   #46
Fox

Quote:
Originally Posted by suunto View Post
Impressive. How large do they get in your area? I've sometimes fantasized about having a 'trained' 'gator or croc as a burglar deterrent ....
If ya want a gator as a deterrent keep this in mind...they don't eat unless it is 72 degrees or higher because of their metabolism. For the lowcountry area of SC that means that from mid Nov. until around April they won't be eating. Also keep in mind that alligators less than five feet in length feed on crawfish, aquatic insects, small snakes, frogs and turtles. A three foot gator is about 4 pounds, a 4 foot gator is about 11 pounds and a 5 foot gator is about 22 pounds. Children and dogs that exceed these body weights by a factor of several times are not in danger.
MaggyNoLia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 06:39 AM   #47
The Bug Whisperer

Remember, I said 'fantasize.' I well realize that in our area such a plan would be impractical, to say the least! That aside, I recall seeing several years ago a short video clip of a fellow who had a fairly large (I would estimate at least 50 pounds from its size in relation to the person) 'gator that he kept indoors in cool weather and that appeared to be leash trained. Also, on the command 'Sit,' the 'gator would flatten itself against the ground! I wish Igor would be more cooperative in that respect. On the one time we tried putting him on a leash ( a modified ferret harness), he went into a crocodilian ' death roll.'
Old 01-31-2009, 07:14 AM   #48
Big Fat juicy WORM

Have you tried offering "snack" with the leash, suunto? My nephew had an good sized Iguana he leash trained that way. I could never really warm up to the critter. But Igor has character, and probably is one as well, I can tell. It could be love on my end.........LOL
Old 02-01-2009, 07:37 AM   #49
The Bug Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by doccat5 View Post
But Igor has character, and probably is one as well, I can tell.
He is indeed a 'character' - at one time, he developed a romantic attachment to our vacuum cleaner ( a canister model with a thick hose); one of our caving friends asked if he could have the pick of the litter! Also, during mating season (usually December-March), he definitely acts more aggressively towards my wife than to me. Pheromones, perhaps? When he was younger and much lighter (he now is close to 20 pounds), he liked to climb up on tall people. He would walk up to you, cock his head and give what we called an 'emu eye' look, then commence to go up the pants leg! Several years ago at a previous residence, he went missing from his room - after a frantic search, we found him in the closet clinging vertically to one of my wife's dresses on its hanger - the closet had rolling doors that he had managed to figure out how to open just enough to squeeze in...
Old 02-01-2009, 05:45 PM   #50
WG Facilitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by suunto View Post
I've sometimes fantasized about having a 'trained' 'gator or croc as a burglar deterrent ....
If you dug a moat around your house and put your trained gator in it, that should keep the burglars away. . . . And you'd be the talk of the neighborhood to boot.

Tags
frog, frogs, herb habitat, marbled salamanders, photo, photos, photos of herps, pictures of herps, pond, ponds, ringneck snake, salamander, salamanders, small mouth salamander, snake, snakes, spotted salamander, toad, toads, turtle, turtles, water snake, wildlife, wildlife photos, wildlife pictures