Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Herps

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2009, 07:25 PM   #21
Mentor

Default Toads calling

Some toads calling from a small, woodland depression
Attached Thumbnails
~Photos of Herps~-toadcalling.jpg   ~Photos of Herps~-toadcalling2.jpg  
midwesternerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 01:20 AM   #22
Unicellular Fungi

I know I have a similar photo somewhere but darned if I can find it so I'll have to enjoy yours! Good shot catching that toad chewing bubble gum!
Old 01-07-2009, 02:30 PM   #23
WG Operations, Facilitator

Default Super Kermit

Here are a couple of photos of a very large frog. Not sure what type of frog. He lived in my planter for 3 years when I was working in Mexico. He was the size of a small rabbit. (A green rabbit that is.)

He enjoyed the cool shade under my large leafed plants and moisture from the garden hose.

My dog, Pancho Villa, was fascinated with this creature, and I really didn't want my dog to scare off Super Kermit because I knew a frog that big had to be consuming enormous quantities of bugs. My dog was familiar with the command "leave the cat alone." So that's what finally worked. Apparently my dog believed the frog was a hairless green cat.

Photos aren't the greatest as they were taken in low light.

BooBooBearBecky
Attached Thumbnails
~Photos of Herps~-really-20big-20fat-20frog.jpg   ~Photos of Herps~-bigfrog1.jpg  
BooBooBearBecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 02:35 PM   #24
Big Fat juicy WORM

Wow, that's a big frog!
doccat5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 03:15 PM   #25
Unicellular Fungi

Maybe you can figure out what shared your pot with your plants for three years by doing an image search of the sicentific names at this site, http://www.focusonnature.com/MexicoAmphibians&Reptiles.htm
Old 01-07-2009, 04:44 PM   #26
WG Operations, Facilitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLorax View Post
Maybe you can figure out what shared your pot with your plants for three years by doing an image search of the sicentific names at this site, http://www.focusonnature.com/MexicoAmphibians&Reptiles.htm
Lorax, did some digging with the link you provided, and I think that Super Kermit is a Sonoran Desert Toad (Bufo alvarius).

We were living in Northern Mexico in the Sonora Desert at the time.
Here's a link about the Sonoran Desert Toad.

http://tucsonherpsociety.org/bual.html

It says that "adults are unmistakably large and can reach over 19cm. (8 in.) in length, and weigh as much as 900 grams."

I have to agree with that fact, as it was HUGE!

BooBooBearBecky
BooBooBearBecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 05:53 PM   #27
Unicellular Fungi

We've had some bullfrogs that put your flower pot ornament to shame size wise. I'm going to try, no promises, to find a very old photo of one of our kids holding up a bullfrog. I kid you not, the frog hung down to his knees. That bullfrog was one of the largest I've ever seen in my life. Probably at least the size of a softball if not a little bigger.
Old 01-16-2009, 09:26 AM   #28
Unicellular Fungi

My property is on the upper limits of Desert Box turtle or Ornate Terrapene ornata. Only Diamondback rattlesnakes, no Mojave's. Texas horned lizards. Banded gecko. whiptail several kinds. And lots of other friendly snakes. The Green toad is in a 800 gallon stock tank, where a Red eared slider summers. I also have an African spurred tortoise.
Attached Thumbnails
~Photos of Herps~-baby-rattlesnake1.jpg.jpg   ~Photos of Herps~-desertboxturtle.jpg   ~Photos of Herps~-green-toad.jpg  
DesertSage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 10:30 AM   #29
The Bug Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwesternerr View Post
Some toads calling from a small, woodland depression
Are you sure these were toads? From the time of year these were active as well as the locale, I think that they more likely were chorus frogs in the genus Pseudacris - see http://tinyurl.com/9mb7up. The calling of ones known as 'spring peepers' was taken as one of the first signs of real spring where I grew up in North Dakota.
suunto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 12:13 PM   #30
WG Writer

Love the photos. we have kingsnakes here but they are becoming extinct. Most people think, 'the only good snake is a dead snake'. consequently the poisonous snakes are proliferating because the kings are a major predator.
hazelnut is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
frog, frogs, herb habitat, marbled salamanders, photo, photos, photos of herps, pictures of herps, pond, ponds, ringneck snake, salamander, salamanders, small mouth salamander, snake, snakes, spotted salamander, toad, toads, turtle, turtles, water snake, wildlife, wildlife photos, wildlife pictures