Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Herps

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2009, 08:55 PM   #11
Heron

Amazing photos, midwesternerr!

There can be no other occupation like gardening in which, if you were to creep up behind someone at their work, you would find them smiling. ~Mirabel Osler

LadySapphire22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 01:55 AM   #12
Unicellular Fungi

Very nice skinks midwesternerr!

Finding the toad hiding in the rocky crevice was somewhat akin to finding Waldo but I finally saw him!
Old 01-04-2009, 02:02 AM   #13
Mentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLorax View Post
Very nice skinks midwesternerr!

Finding the toad hiding in the rocky crevice was somewhat akin to finding Waldo but I finally saw him!
Yep sometimes those things are hard to see! I was in a cave a couple of months ago and 2 people looked right at a cave salamander in a crevice without seeing it. I couldn't help but wonder how many crevices I stared into that day and thought "nope, nothing there!" when there might have been a gem.
midwesternerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 11:42 AM   #14
Grub

Smile Culvert City

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwesternerr View Post
Yep sometimes those things are hard to see! I was in a cave a couple of months ago and 2 people looked right at a cave salamander in a crevice without seeing it. I couldn't help but wonder how many crevices I stared into that day and thought "nope, nothing there!" when there might have been a gem.
Hi midwesternerr,

Great pictures! I noticed in one picture the dilemma faced by the salamander when she hit a culvert. Thought she looked like she'd be able to handle it. One group around here is working on making culverts near a vernal pool more salamander friendly. They even convinced their small NH city to conserve the land around the culvert. That was pretty amazing.
trout lily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 01:50 PM   #15
Mentor

Default Water Snakes (MO USA)

Diamond back and yellow belly water snakes living in rocks at a duck hunting reserve.
Attached Thumbnails
~Photos of Herps~-diamondwatersname.jpg   ~Photos of Herps~-yellowbellywaterclose.jpg   ~Photos of Herps~-yellowbellywater.jpg  
Old 01-04-2009, 01:53 PM   #16
Mentor

Speckeled Kingsnake hiding in a tree cavity, a prairie ringneck snake (which are often in wooded areas, ironically), another of the kingsnake, and the last one could not be identified... what you see in the photo is all I could see.
Attached Thumbnails
~Photos of Herps~-speckledkingsnake2.jpg   ~Photos of Herps~-ringneck.jpg   ~Photos of Herps~-snakeincavity.jpg   ~Photos of Herps~-snakehideout.jpg  
Old 01-04-2009, 06:45 PM   #17
Unicellular Fungi

Very nice snakes midwesternerr. The Kingsnake in the tree cavity is awesome.
Old 01-04-2009, 09:30 PM   #18
Naturalist/Photographer

Here are some Rough Skinned newts (Taricha granulosa) from the PNW - they have the same TTX toxin as Puffer fish. The rough-skinned newt possesses tetrodotoxin, which in this species was formerly called tarichatoxin. This toxin binds to sodium channels in nerve cells and interferes with the normal flow of sodium ions in and out of the cell. This has the effect of inducing paralysis and death.

The last image is a Red-legged Frog, taken near Mt. St. Helens.
Attached Thumbnails
~Photos of Herps~-rough-skinned-newt.jpg   ~Photos of Herps~-rough-skinned-newts.jpg   ~Photos of Herps~-red-legged-frog.jpg  
Dave Stiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 02:50 PM   #19
Unicellular Fungi

That rough-skinned newt is my favorite from above.
Old 01-05-2009, 05:02 PM   #20
POM Judge & Official Non Gardener

Wow! Terrific shots! Very cute shot of the frog!
Sage is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
frog, frogs, herb habitat, marbled salamanders, photo, photos, photos of herps, pictures of herps, pond, ponds, ringneck snake, salamander, salamanders, small mouth salamander, snake, snakes, spotted salamander, toad, toads, turtle, turtles, water snake, wildlife, wildlife photos, wildlife pictures