Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Herps

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-16-2017, 01:14 PM   #1111
Unicellular Fungi

[QUOTE=turttle;158778]Look who my cat was playing with! Luckily she didn't get bitten. I guess having long, thick hair helps.
Attachment 44844 Attachment 44845

That is one well camouflaged snake! I think I might have totally missed that sucker if I was working in that area of the yard!
rhauser44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 11:58 AM   #1112
Great Horned Owl

Quote:
Originally Posted by turttle View Post
Look who my cat was playing with! Luckily she didn't get bitten. I guess having long, thick hair helps.
Attachment 44844 Attachment 44845

Yes. It is a copperhead. Very well camouflaged and right by my front walk. It was madly flicking its tail pretending to be a rattlesnake.
Well, that certainly makes working in the yard a bit more adrenal. It would take me awhile to get used to knowing that was out there when I went out to work in the yard!!! How dangerous are they, anyhow??? If it was pretending to be a rattler, does that mean it's not as fearsome as one??

Oracle at Delphi
jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 07:43 AM   #1113
Fox

No pretending about it, that is a copperhead,[more commonly found than rattlers in my area] I've never been bit by one, but they are a poisonous viper.

ww
Old 05-26-2017, 02:43 PM   #1114
Curious George & UAOKA recipient

A copperhead bite is very painful, and makes the affected limb swell up enormously. That being said, the amount of venom injected varies tremendously and they seldom use the anti-venom and even more rarely will anyone be hospitalized. I had a friend bitten by his pet copperhead (yes, I know, how stupid can you be?) and he ended up hospitalized because his arm swelled so much they were worried about the circulation.

A copperhead bite can kill a small animal or potentially a small child.

Yes, Jack, it makes me nervous to know I have them in my yard. They are extremely well camouflaged in the leaf litter. Their favorite habitat in NC is "rocky wooded hillsides near water" which describes my property exactly. This one is the third one I have found, all relatively small. All of that being said, I still walk around my front yard in sandals and shorts, just making sure that I make plenty of noise as I go and mostly sticking to the paths I have raked clear of leaves.

Turttle's pollinator garden
turttle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 02:46 PM   #1115
Curious George & UAOKA recipient

A broad headed skink on my front steps. There were a pair of them playing together, probably courting. I have way more five lined skinks than these guys, but I like their red heads. They have much broader bodies than my other skinks. This guy looks pretty young. I get them about fifty percent larger with the more classic triangular head.
Attached Thumbnails
~Photos of Herps~-broad-headed-skink-head-out-steps.jpg   ~Photos of Herps~-broad-headed-skink-crack-stairs.jpg  

Turttle's pollinator garden
turttle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 07:47 PM   #1116
Fox

pawprint

Nice skinks turttle.

I found this black snake this morning, probably headed toward that bluejay nest upstairs. I moved him 'to the ravine' where he should be just as happy, luckily it was cool this morning so he was easy to carry away draped across a stick [unharmed of course], given a warm day and this guy is super fast.~Photos of Herps~-100_3272.jpg~Photos of Herps~-100_3273.jpg

ww
Old 05-26-2017, 11:14 PM   #1117
Great Horned Owl

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwatcher View Post
Nice skinks turttle.

I found this black snake this morning, probably headed toward that bluejay nest upstairs. I moved him 'to the ravine' where he should be just as happy, luckily it was cool this morning so he was easy to carry away draped across a stick [unharmed of course], given a warm day and this guy is super fast.Attachment 44867Attachment 44868

ww
Interesting picture.I didn't even know that a snake could climb that steep an angle.

Oracle at Delphi
Old 05-27-2017, 08:51 AM   #1118
Fox

pawprint

Hi Jack, the black snake is an 'egg sucker', so climbing trees, is his thing. People that have chicken coops for example around here...should consider the black snake when building. This one is about medium size at 4' long, they are often found in hay barns, they will catch mice, no problem.

ww
Old 05-27-2017, 09:52 AM   #1119
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

Never saw one of those but sure enjoyed your photograph of him immensely!
Snakes around here sure don't climb trees like that!

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 04:08 PM   #1120
Great Horned Owl

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwatcher View Post
Hi Jack, the black snake is an 'egg sucker', so climbing trees, is his thing. People that have chicken coops for example around here...should consider the black snake when building. This one is about medium size at 4' long, they are often found in hay barns, they will catch mice, no problem.

ww
In Florida where I have my winter place, folks are terrified of snakes but always exclude the black snake from their eradication efforts. They say they are good to have around. This is a different snake than is the black racer, right???

Oracle at Delphi

Tags
frog, frogs, herb habitat, marbled salamanders, photo, photos, photos of herps, pictures of herps, pond, ponds, ringneck snake, salamander, salamanders, small mouth salamander, snake, snakes, spotted salamander, toad, toads, turtle, turtles, water snake, wildlife, wildlife photos, wildlife pictures