Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Herps

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-16-2016, 01:56 PM   #11
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

One of fathers huge boa constrictors escaped one year. We were NOT to tell grandma about it at ALL! Months and months later we found it slithering across the kitchen floor. We never did tell grandma about THAT escapeeeeeeee!

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 01:59 PM   #12
Curious George & UAOKA recipient

One of Jeff's seven foot carpet pythons was loose for a month, until a guest found it behind a door. Good thing it was the right guest!

Turttle's pollinator garden
turttle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 10:31 AM   #13

Good thing. It could have ended up dead real quick otherwise!

Old 04-03-2018, 03:02 PM   #14
WG Fundraising Coordinator

Is it too early to see frogs and snakes? I went in the garden shed today and what looked like a leopard frog was trapped in there. I left the doors open for him to find his way out. My cat caught a garter snake this week too. I think they live under the deck, a perfect place for them.
Old 04-03-2018, 04:53 PM   #15

Probably not as you are waaaaay...into your Spring already.

Old 04-08-2018, 04:19 PM   #16
Salamander

I found a baby rat snake dangling like a rope in the fireplace grate one time. ("What is that rope doing in the fireplace grate?) Caught and released outside.

Then I found a 4' ball python coiled between my patio ponds. At a first glimpse, all I could see was big snake and vivid diagonal patterns, so I thought "rattlesnake?" and hustled my dog inside real fast. Came back with my snake book, realized it wasn't local, caught it (it was friendly) and ended up bringing him to a local pet shop, since I couldn't find an owner and my silly ex thought snakes were evil. (Good riddance. The ex, not the snake.)

Then there was my own pet corn snake (this was after I got rid of the ex), who was at large for about 4 months. I thought he was dead, eaten by my 2 dogs or 2 cats, but one day I saw his tail disappear into a crevice behind the closet shelving. A week later, I noticed my dog eyeing a pile of shoes suspiciously; I investigated and found my little wanderer. He was no worse for the adventure. There was water around for the dogs and cats, but I wonder what he ate? Or maybe I don't want to know.

Then there were the 3 hamster escapes. The key to finding an escaped hamster is to think like a hamster! I found one in the dog food bag. The other two (actually one, who was good at escaping), I trapped by making a sunflower seed trail up a ramp, then into an empty aquarium she couldn't climb out of. In the morning, there she was, a bit disgruntled at being disturbed. Hmmm. She was a sweet girl. She died about a year ago. It's time for another hamster.

I like snakes.

Another time, though, same place as the python, I was on my little patio and heard a tiny scream. I looked around and found, behind one of the ponds, a little frog in the mouth of a garter snake. Did you know frogs can scream? It was puffed up as big as it could be! Now, I like snakes, and I'm sure this one really wanted its dinner. I also like frogs. I was really troubled; do I help the little frog escape and deny Mr. Snake his dinner? I did. I couldn't help it.

Another time, I watched a little snake dangling in a branch I'd hung into my little pool, trying to catch one of the minnows sheltering under the branch. Pretty cool.

I regularly saw garter snakes at the place I rented for the past 8 years. Initially we had massive amounts of the huge black slugs, but once the garter snakes came, the slugs weren't so numerous. I red that garter snakes eat slugs. Surprising. I used to keep some areas wet for those snakes in the hot, dry Washington summers.

I haven't seen any snakes yet in my new yard. I hope I have some, eventually! I have rock piles and sticks, so hopefully they'll eventually come around, once I have more vegetation.

Oh yes. Another baby rat snake in an orchid pot, one of those wood slat things with lots of roots and a bit of bark. He startled me. I'd just brought the plants inside.

Last edited by Leslie; 04-08-2018 at 04:23 PM. Reason: Typos
Leslie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 11:59 AM   #17

What interesting adventures! You and I are soooo much alike but I let the snake have (not a frog) but the toad.
I figured he earned it but I felt bad for that poor toad as I really....like toadies.

My sons ball python was on the slither here for nearly half a year before we finally found him. I saw its tail go up under and into the void beneath and between the base of a cabinet in my plant room. Hubby was not happy about removing the foot board to get him. He was in great shape too!

Hamsters YUP! Love those little fur-balls. Some were moody upon wake up but most were real sweet. Our lil escape' was found when hubby heard a sound by the TV. Little bugger was gnawing on the electricals he JUST installed. Our surround sound! No more surround sound was HE ever mad about that one. Was months... before he decided to redo all of that wiring!

You and I would probably be great friends if you had lived nearby.
It's hard to find another woman with like interests and the outlook on life like you have.

Old 04-11-2018, 10:58 PM   #18
Salamander

Quote:
Originally Posted by havalotta View Post
What interesting adventures! You and I are soooo much alike ...

You and I would probably be great friends if you had lived nearby.
It's hard to find another woman with like interests and the outlook on life like you have.
I think so, too! I do wish we lived closer!

Leslie
Old 04-12-2018, 12:41 PM   #19
Grub

Quote:
Originally Posted by linrose View Post
Is it too early to see frogs and snakes? I went in the garden shed today and what looked like a leopard frog was trapped in there. I left the doors open for him to find his way out. My cat caught a garter snake this week too. I think they live under the deck, a perfect place for them.
I'm much further north and I have seen frogs out and about along a river that I frequent. One of the First insects I see that are out insuring the next generation are Stoneflies. They will fly right along the surface of the water while fluttering their wings very fast. They are laying eggs. Saw them about 2-3 weeks ago. Stoneflies can be seen on warmer days in the winter on the snow along rivers and creeks. Stoneflies are cool.

Stonefly: pictures, information, classification and more
weedy feilds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 08:45 PM   #20
Curious George & UAOKA recipient

Linrose, I have had toads courting since mid February with tadpoles obvious by early March. My lizards were all out about a week ago, and my bullfrogs are calling. I found my northern water snake very awake in my pond skimmer on March 31. Earlier I have had a pickerel frog, mating toads and a bullfrog hanging out in there. They better be careful! It is “my water snake”because it has been seen repeatedly around my pond, usually in the skimmer, for over a year.

I believe we are at close to the same latitude/climate zone.

Snakes in the house?-f5165187-e138-43ba-94f3-3382779cf9b4.jpg

Snakes in the house?-23bd9200-89bf-49b5-a071-b7037794c057.jpg

Turttle's pollinator garden
turttle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
house, snakes