Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Herps

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-05-2014, 05:51 PM   #1
A Bee's Best Friend

Default Blanding's Turtle

Nice pictures and scroll down to a video of the release. I tried to add here but could not.

http://www.mlive.com/news/saginaw/index.ssf/2014/08/shiawassee_national_wildlife_r_17.html

Quote:
The refuge and zoo employees each year collect females who haven't yet laid eggs and take them to the zoo to nest. The Detroit Zoo incubates the eggs and raises the turtles for two years.
The Blanding's turtles aren't out of danger from predators at two years old, but their larger size and harder shells makes them less vulnerable, Jundt said.
Blanding's turtles will grow to about the size of a dinner plate and live from 60 to 70 years, he said.

http://pollinators-welcome.blogspot.com/
Gloria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 11:12 PM   #2
Fox

That is a beautiful type turtle, interesting to see...tks Gloria for the link.

ww
Old 09-09-2014, 04:33 PM   #3
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

WOW They live a lot longer than I had thought. I've seen hardly a handful of them in Michigan. Not so common here.

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 06:36 PM   #4
A Bee's Best Friend

That is why they are finding the turtles ready to lay eggs, incubating then raising until the turtles are old enough to make it in the wild.
One problem has been too many raccoons which have been eating eggs .

Quote:
SPAULDING TOWNSHIP, MI — Steve Kahl picked a small turtle from a box and placed it on a log in the Shiawassee National Wildlife Refuge's Ferguson Bayou.
Quote:
In an effort to increase the number of rare Blanding's turtles in Michigan, the Shiawassee National Wildlife Refuge partnered with the Detroit Zoo five years ago. In that time, they have raised and released 147 Blanding's turtles into the refuge's waters.
Quote:
Range and Status: Common in the Lower Peninsula; rare in the Upper Peninsula. Threatened by wetland degradation and road mortality. Protected by Michigan law as a special concern species.

http://pollinators-welcome.blogspot.com/
Gloria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 10:30 AM   #5
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

turtle

Knowing their special needs, (Not rotating them in transit etc....) I used to gather the eggs of the painted and snapping turtles myself every Spring, rebury them in the sand, in the sun, surrounded by a little wire cage. As they hatched, I'd carry each batch back to the exact area from which they came. For that very same reason...The coons and the skunks would find and eat each and every last one of them.

The area from which I had collected (once sandy and open) slowly filled in with brush, then trees. Without the loose sand to dig and lay their eggs and without the sun's incubation, they moved on to lay elsewhere.

It was my way of giving the poor little guys a fighting chance. Nowdays......You'd more than likely need a permit to do such a thing.

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
blandings, turtle