Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Herps

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2014, 09:15 AM   #1
Curious George & UAOKA recipient

Default Crocodiles climb trees!

Crocodiles can climb trees: researchers | Reuters

Though the reptiles lack obvious physical features to suggest this is possible, crocodiles in fact climb trees all the way to the crowns, according to University of Tennessee researcher Vladimir Dinets.

Who knew? So far no-one is saying that alligators climb trees, so I guess we are all safe here in the US....

Turttle's pollinator garden
turttle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 01:56 PM   #2
WG Facilitator

That picture was kinda funny.

I'm glad that our alligators are better behaved, and won't be swooping down on us!
Old 02-17-2014, 08:23 PM   #3
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Yes, who knew? I certainly didn't. Cool to know...and nice to know alligators apparently don't.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 06:16 AM   #4
Rock Star

Before you breath a sigh of relief look again at the alligator on the top of some branches in the 2nd photo in Mississippi.
will-o-wisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 07:51 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by will-o-wisp View Post
Before you breathe a sigh of relief look again at the alligator on the top of some branches in the 2nd photo in Mississippi.
You're right. I just noticed the caption (although I could only view one pic...and I thought it looked more like a crocodile.

Quote:
1 OF 2. An American alligator perches on a tree branch in the Pearl River Delta, Mississippi, in this undated handout photo received on February 14, 2014.
CREDIT: REUTERS/KRISTINE GINGRAS/HANDOUT VIA REUTERS
We don't get many in PA so I'm not worried....sorry biigblue has to take back her sigh of relief.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
Old 02-19-2014, 09:38 PM   #6

Well, I guess I should read the articles I post more closely. We have alligators in NC but only on the coastal plain. They wouldn't do well on my hill, so I think I am safe.

Old 02-19-2014, 10:15 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by turttle View Post
We have alligators in NC but only on the coastal plain. They wouldn't do well on my hill, so I think I am safe.
~smile~
Old 02-20-2014, 05:05 PM   #8

I am reminded about childhood jokes about elephants climbing cherry trees... (why do elephants paint their toenails red? to hide in the cherry trees, and on and on). Someone with a better sense of humor than mine needs to start a bunch of alligators in the trees jokes. Be creative!

Old 02-20-2014, 05:08 PM   #9

Why do alligators glue acorns to their bodies?
To hide in the oak trees.
Why do they hide in oak trees?
Because squirrels are tasty.
Why do you want to have alligators in your oak trees?
So the squirrels don't eat your birdseed.
What happens when they run out of squirrels?
cue music from Jaws...

Old 02-20-2014, 09:46 PM   #10

Quote:
Someone with a better sense of humor than mine needs to start a bunch of alligators in the trees jokes. Be creative!
Don't look at me!

Quote:
Why do alligators... hide in oak trees?
Because squirrels are tasty...
That one really made me smile.

See, you don't need help. I like how they built on each other. Here's hoping you never hear the Jaws music--or, you hear it early enough to get the hell out of the way!

Tags
climb, crocodiles, kegger, trees