Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Herps

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-01-2013, 01:39 PM   #31
Heron

Default PBS Shows

Quote:
Originally Posted by dapjwy View Post
That definitely fits in here!

What did they do with the snake?
This guy respected snakes but they didn't say if he freed the snake like you did...I'm guessing he cut the wire.

In another scene the turkeys were harassing diamond backed rattlesnakes. They alerted each other that there was danger and would tease the black snakes while crowding out the rattlesnakes.

The guy who called himself "Turkey Mom" said he's been in that area for years and only saw a few rattlesnakes before he spent time with the turkeys but now that he was spending his days with the young turkeys he was amazed that even at a young age and not having a real mom that they knew the venomous snakes from the other snakes. It also made him realize how many rattlesnakes were living there.
Third year they leap; So plant some today
sprucetree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 01:49 PM   #32
Heron

Default PBS Duck Show

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllenW View Post
I saw that show about the turkeys also. That was very good. There was also a Pbs show on after that about ducks that was excellent.
I was hooked on that show from the beginning when the wood duck babies only a few days old climbed out of a cavity nest and fell to the ground and then followed their mom's quacking to the lake.

It was one of those shows that the photography kept you glued while the information had you feeling like you were learning something.
Third year they leap; So plant some today
sprucetree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 03:06 PM   #33
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprucetree View Post
This guy respected snakes but they didn't say if he freed the snake like you did...I'm guessing he cut the wire.
Well, at least it seems possible or likely that they freed it.

Quote:
he was amazed that even at a young age and not having a real mom that they knew the venomous snakes from the other snakes.
That is amazing. I really don't understand instinct...or more so how it becomes part of the genetic code (or how it works in general).
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 07:21 PM   #34
Official Plant Nerd

This came up last year!!! My guess was he cut the wire and freed the snake too. I really thought it woulda been a teachable moment if they'd showed him freeing the snake.
Old 12-01-2013, 07:44 PM   #35
Heron

Quote:
I just had to share the special PBS had on the other night about the guy in Florida who raised Turkeys from fertilized eggs and the snake that slithered through the poultry wire and swallowed a week-old poult and then got stuck leaving because it had this baby turkey holding it back.
I actually had this exact same thing happen to me back in 2005 or so, except it happened to some chicken poults, not turkeys. Huge rat snake, subsequently stuck in a wire cage.

Tags
black, snake