Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Herps

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-01-2013, 07:15 AM   #21
WG Fundraising Coordinator

Ellenwright, that kinked posture is what they do when startled. It's supposed to make them look like a stick? A very contorted stick I suppose.

Species Profile: Rat Snake (Elaphe [Pantherophis] obsoleta) | SREL Herpetology
linrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 08:19 AM   #22
Alternate POM Judge

Interesting thank you linrose
EllenW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 08:58 AM   #23
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
Originally Posted by linrose View Post
Ellenwright, that kinked posture is what they do when startled. It's supposed to make them look like a stick? A very contorted stick I suppose.

Species Profile: Rat Snake (Elaphe [Pantherophis] obsoleta) | SREL Herpetology
Very cool to know--I really learn so much here.

Thanks, linrose.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 11:06 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by dapjwy View Post
I did find a black rat snake in our barn, unfortunately it was stuck in some berry netting that I'd found out in the yard and left in the barn. I took pity on the poor thing, and with Jeff's help holding its head in place with the side of a broom, went to work freeing it. As I cut away at the netting and it began to realize it was nearly free, it started to really move--prior to that it was pretty listless. What a horrible feeling to be trapped like that--I would imagine.

If this story sounds familiar to older members, it is because I told it last year (or was it the year before?).
If I could find the original posting, I'd update that too...anyway yesterday with Thanksgiving with my family, I discovered something that thrilled and amazed me. After talking to my siblings about the bear I saw a couple of months ago (my brother was jealous of my encounter), the subject got on to snakes. I mentioned how a couple years ago I'd saved a snake from certain death trapped in berry netting. Both my sister and brother said they had done the same thing! I was amazed...and surprised that my brother would bother. I learned just how similar we are...and that he also saves bugs (puts them outside instead of killing them). It did my heart good. After some comment I'd made about my surprise,he replied with something like, "How could you grow up in that household and not respect living things?!" I think our Dad had a bigger impact on us all than I'd realized.

My mother, who is approaching her mid-eighties, seemed thrilled by our newly discovered affinity.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
Old 11-29-2013, 11:45 AM   #25
Alternate POM Judge

That's a wonderful discovery dap. I was thrilled when a friend of mine told me about the bats on her property. I never would have thought she would enjoy having bats
Old 11-29-2013, 07:05 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllenW View Post
That's a wonderful discovery dap. I was thrilled when a friend of mine told me about the bats on her property. I never would have thought she would enjoy having bats
Thanks, Ellen. It is funny that I wasn't as surprised about my sister as I was about my brother. It did feel great knowing that we are all Wildlife Gardeners at heart.
Old 11-30-2013, 12:18 PM   #27
Heron

Default Garter Snakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by havalotta View Post
Oh we have snakes here, just not any that hang from rafters or trees. Ours stay on the ground and where I live, there aren't any poisonous snakes whatsoever. It is my understanding though that"other" parts of Michigan have some sort of a poisonous species but I do not know its name.
We had tons of garter snakes since we had the habitat for them; Tall grass with a creek was what they liked.

This summer a girl was bitten by a Michigan rattlesnake which is called a missigauna. It has very little venom and the girl was fine.

In Michigan more people go to the doctor for run-ins with hornets, spiders, and bees since there are so few snakes and the reaction is to give them their space.
Third year they leap; So plant some today
sprucetree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 12:48 PM   #28
Heron

Default Pbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwatcher View Post
I've seen some black snakes that are aggressive, but I like how they move, the big ones are super fast on a down hill grade in the woods. I've seen em climb a tree just to find a blue jay nest.

Equilibrium, keep those guys away from your hens, they are eggsuckers deluxe, subtle too, I heard they like to move into an hen house at night when the chickens don't see/stir so much.

ww
I just had to share the special PBS had on the other night about the guy in Florida who raised Turkeys from fertilized eggs and the snake that slithered through the poultry wire and swallowed a week-old poult and then got stuck leaving because it had this baby turkey holding it back.

Kudos to PBS for it's Nature series and this rehabber for spending a year with these young turkeys
Third year they leap; So plant some today
sprucetree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 12:55 PM   #29
Alternate POM Judge

I saw that show about the turkeys also. That was very good. There was also a Pbs show on after that about ducks that was excellent.
Old 12-01-2013, 10:06 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprucetree View Post
I just had to share the special PBS had on the other night about the guy in Florida who raised Turkeys from fertilized eggs and the snake that slithered through the poultry wire and swallowed a week-old poult and then got stuck leaving because it had this baby turkey holding it back.
That definitely fits in here!

What did they do with the snake?

Tags
black, snake