Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Herps

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-26-2017, 02:16 PM   #31
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

Not absolutely sure as I can't see the top of its shell but it looks like a wood turtle from what I'm able to see.

Quote:
The numbers of wood turtles have declined at an alarming rate in recent years, largely as a result of human interference and collection for the pet trade
Wood turtle videos, photos and facts - Glyptemys insculpta | Arkive

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 04:16 PM   #32
Carbon

Question

^ Yes, it does look a lot like a Wood Turtle (Glyptemys insculpta) - with its yellow legs, black claws, yellow & black underside, and shell that is taller than a water turtle, but flatter than a box turtle.

However, this turtle was found down in Texas, while Wood Turtles are supposed to only inhabit the NE?

Unless maybe someone dumped a pet here (quite likely)?
xfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 08:48 AM   #33

I turned a few pages-looked-clicked upon JUST a few but don't have the time right now to explore but you should have some fun in this!
Texas Turtle Diversity

Just one of the many http://www.texasturtles.org/Gopherus_berlandieri.html

Old 06-28-2017, 09:28 AM   #34
Carbon

turtle

^ Thanks! Looked through the pics, but didn't see any match.

I'm going to just guess for now that this was a released pet. This is actually quite plausible because I found it high & dry up by a "trail" near a steep riverbank for a drainage ditch. Which made no sense - because why (and how) would a mossy turtle climb all the way up out of the water, just to sit in some grass under a hot sun?
xfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 11:34 AM   #35

TO LAY ITS EGGS!!!!
The snapping turtles AND the painted are laying them here as we speak!

The snappers lay perfectly round eggs while the painted are oval. Been a turtle saver for many years if I catch them on time otherwise the coons and skunks dig them up and eat them but it's not for the inexperienced as you must move and bury them a certain way!!!

Any disturbance in their orientation, deepness, material they are buried in and sunshine will kill them in their shells. A fence and a few plants must also be planted and erected around them or the local pests will dig them up and eat them or once hatched, the sun may dehydrate them. They are checked upon OFTEN so when they DO dig their way out, they are quickly rounded up and brought back to the area in which they were saved.

Believe it or not, SOME turtles don't dig their way to the surface till the NEXT Spring depending on conditions and the weather.

Tags
backyard, box, box turtles, eggs, laying, laying eggs, painted, painted turtles, snapping turtle, turtle, turtle eggs, turtles