Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Miscellaneous Gardening Boards > Help Identifying Plants

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2011, 09:06 PM   #1
Fox

Default A primrose?

The first three pics were taken in early May in north central Massachusetts. I believe they're a kind of primrose but I wouldn't be surprised if I were wrong. I think they have a strong resemblence to most of the primroses I've ID'ed including the one in the last two pics, Common Evening Primrose (Oenothera biennis). So, what do you all think?
A primrose?-yellow-flowers01.jpgA primrose?-yellow-flowers02.jpgA primrose?-yellow-flowers03.jpgA primrose?-common-evening-primrose-oenothera-biennis-02.jpgA primrose?-common-evening-primrose-oenothera-biennis-03.jpg
Old 01-04-2011, 09:11 PM   #2
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

I think it is something called celandine. The last two do look like an Onethera species.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 09:23 PM   #3
Fox

Crap, I should have known that one as I identified it once in my backyard. Those leaves are pretty distinctive but they just didn't register. I think I may be learning too much, too quickly. The advent of digital photography coupled with the internet is leading to information overload. That's not to say that I'll stop or even slow down my attempts to learn everything, but it can be frustrating to be relearning things. Thanks dapjwy, for reintroducing me to the invasive (yet beautiful) celandine.
Old 01-05-2011, 04:53 PM   #4
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Believe me, I understand about information overload. My memory retrieval seems to be on the fritz lately--last couple of months. I notice often, while trying to type online, that I can't remember a specific word or the name of a place. I'm just a wee bit concerned, but then I realize that I'm watching some TV show (often 24 hour news program), reading the posts here, texting Jeff, and probably a few other things. I think my mind is on overload.

At least you remember that you learned it before. You recognized the name and the leaf.

I thought it was non-native, but planned to check when I had more time. Lots of things are beautiful, but not ideal for the habitat. Other things that are considered traditionally beautiful look out of place to me in yards and the wild. Maybe I appreciate the beauty of the great whole than the individual more now.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
celandine, identification, identify, identify plant, native plants, natives, onethera, plant id, plant identification, plants, primrose, woodland, woodland plants