Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Miscellaneous Gardening Boards > Help Identifying Plants

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-17-2010, 06:11 AM   #41
WG Contest Coordinator
 
tineckbone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Browns Mills, NJ
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by havalotta View Post
Nooooo Just gathering sights to visit to locate the name of your stumper.....

Rosa solis...Hmmmmm So far I found this....A Sundew was used to create yellow cordial water called rosa solis



DING DING DING DING We have a winner here!!!
It is a sundew, spatula leafed sundew (Drosera intermedia) to be exact. They put their flowers up on long stalks so that the insects that come to pollinate don't end up as a meal!
Attached Thumbnails
how about a game of stump the experts!-1104.jpg  
__________________
I am a long haired, tree hugging, dirt worshiping environmentalist.
tineckbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 09:36 AM   #42
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator
 
havalotta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Michigan
Default

I I I got it? I've never seen a Sundew blossom before.....
THAT flower is microscopic then... Here It appeared so big!
You've got an excellent zoom and either a rock hard stance or a Tripod to get a shot like that.
__________________
The successful woman is the woman that had the chance and took it!

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 09:47 AM   #43
WG Contest Coordinator
 
tineckbone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Browns Mills, NJ
Default

The flower is not very big at all but not microscopic.
I had to take several pictures until I got one that I was happy with. I really need to get a small tripod that I can carry with me on hiking trips.
The picture was taken at Pakim Pond in Wharton SF. All around the pond are 3 different types of sundews as well as several pitcher plants. Mary and I always have a great time exploring around the pond.
__________________
I am a long haired, tree hugging, dirt worshiping environmentalist.
tineckbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 10:03 PM   #44
Butterfly Educator Extraordinaire
 
bridget1964's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Ventnor City, New Jersey, USA
Default

I had never seen the sundew flower before, either. They were small, maybe twice the diameter of a pencil top eraser, if that makes sense.

And yes, he is quite steady in his photo taking. I shake and blur the images!
bridget1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 12:24 AM   #45
Official Plant Nerd
 
Equilibrium's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Default

I hate to say this but.... the plant in post 41 is a Drosera but.... I'm pretty sure the bloom scape in the first post isn't to any Drosera I've ever known not even when the petals fall off. I'm pretty sure you've got the bloom scape to an entirely different species. I think you accidentally caught a bloom scape from another plant growing in very close proximity to the sundew. You can find photos of Drosera intermedia bloom scapes at this link and some of the photos are mine since I've been growing and documenting all the North American temperate species for quite a few years and.... I like to take photos and.... indigenous carnivorous plants are sorta my heart throb next to woodies, Drosera intermedia photos. Drosera flowers have 5 petals.... Drosera intermedia isn't an exception. Its petals are white and there are always several blooms on the same stalk which is why it's referred to as having "scorpioid cymes". It will always have 5 sepals supporting its petals. Its leaves are always single and in a basal rosette... not whorled. Drosera intermedia's stalks always have glands on them. The other thing is that Drosera intermedia is self pollinating. It pollinates itself when its petals close at night. Insects can pollinate them..... so can the wind.
__________________
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."
- Dr. Seuss
Equilibrium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 06:31 AM   #46
WG Contest Coordinator
 
tineckbone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Browns Mills, NJ
Default

we will just have to go back out and take a closer look, the area where the pictures were taken is close by and while it appeared that the flower was growing from the drosera it could be possible that it was coming from a different plant. I will check and respond...
I was not sure how to answer the whorled or opposite question with a yes or no answer, since the question did not have the basal rosette aspect I did the best I could with yes or no...
__________________
I am a long haired, tree hugging, dirt worshiping environmentalist.
tineckbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 09:46 AM   #47
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator
 
havalotta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Michigan
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tineckbone View Post
We will just have to go back out and take a closer look, the area where the pictures were taken is close by and while it appeared that the flower was growing from the drosera it could be possible that it was coming from a different plant. I will check and respond...
So.....I see you're joining us in a game of "Stump the expert". .
You understand I'm not really laughing AT you....but it IS kind of funny. After all it is Flor al to learn by.....

Looking forward to seeing photos including its lower structures....
__________________
The successful woman is the woman that had the chance and took it!

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 10:23 AM   #48
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient
 
dapjwy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Pennsylvania
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equilibrium View Post
I hate to say this but.... the plant in post 41 is a Drosera but.... I'm pretty sure the bloom scape in the first post isn't to any Drosera I've ever known not even when the petals fall off. I'm pretty sure you've got the bloom scape to an entirely different species. I think you accidentally caught a bloom scape from another plant growing in very close proximity to the sundew. You can find photos of Drosera intermedia bloom scapes at this link and some of the photos are mine since I've been growing and documenting all the North American temperate species for quite a few years and.... I like to take photos and.... indigenous carnivorous plants are sorta my heart throb next to woodies, Drosera intermedia photos. Drosera flowers have 5 petals.... Drosera intermedia isn't an exception. Its petals are white and there are always several blooms on the same stalk which is why it's referred to as having "scorpioid cymes". It will always have 5 sepals supporting its petals. Its leaves are always single and in a basal rosette... not whorled. Drosera intermedia's stalks always have glands on them. The other thing is that Drosera intermedia is self pollinating. It pollinates itself when its petals close at night. Insects can pollinate them..... so can the wind.
Quote:
Originally Posted by havalotta View Post
So.....I see you're joining us in a game of "Stump the expert". ....
...

Hmmm...so does that mean that I still have a chance at being correct?
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 11:01 AM   #49
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator
 
havalotta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Michigan
musical notes4

Looks like you have some picture taking to do. I do too.

Love my peaches...... Gotta shake my tree...
I must give my tree a bump to take photos to see... what's eating gilbert grape. (My nectarines)
Well don't you worry, don't worry, no don't worry mama
Cause' I'm right here at home...
But I'LL BE BACK to...... see the cutest flower that I ever did see.
__________________
The successful woman is the woman that had the chance and took it!

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 02:13 PM   #50
WG Contest Coordinator
 
tineckbone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Browns Mills, NJ
Default

After careful re-examination of the site, and really getting down to the bottom of the issue, I have to say that Equilibrium is absolutely correct!!! Equilibrium was the first one to guess and was absolutely correct in that response too! So sorry for the misleading information, it REALLY appeared as though that flower was coming out of the drosera.
Doing some further investigation into the root of the matter, the flower was in fact from a eriocaulon decangulare.
Attached Thumbnails
how about a game of stump the experts!-dsc_0067.jpg  
__________________
I am a long haired, tree hugging, dirt worshiping environmentalist.
tineckbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
experts, game, guess, guessing game, identify, identify plants, native plant, plant, plant id, plant identification, plant photo, plants, stump

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:53 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2