Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Miscellaneous Gardening Boards > Help Identifying Plants

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-11-2010, 08:57 PM   #11
Fox

Thanks, Equil. I've saved the file and will read it when I can concentrate on one thing for more than 30 seconds (very tired)
Went to the farm and got some more pics for reference for you
Shrub of a friend-shrub1.jpgYoung shoot

Shrub of a friend-shrub2.jpgBark

Shrub of a friend-shrub3.jpgUnderside of leaves
Old 06-11-2010, 11:14 PM   #12
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

Could it be a cranberry of some sort? Leaves may be too narrow to be one but just a thought...

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 08:14 PM   #13
Official Plant Nerd

Your first photo was decent I just wish I could have enlarged it more to get in to see some detail. The undersides of the leaves was the biggest help. Morus leaves (rubra microphylla laevigata alba nigra) are all palmately veined and so are the cultivars. That means they all have 3 major veins starting at the base of the petiole. The leaves of the plant you photographed don't have palmately veined leaves. Your friend's plant is polymorphic like Morus but it's not a Morus. What I'd like to see would be close ups of the nodes. That might help but.... maybe it won't. The leaf scars would help too but it's too early in the year to get photos of those. You'd have to wait quite a while to get leaf scar photos. Here's hoping somebody recognizes those leaves.
Old 06-13-2010, 09:42 AM   #14
WG Facebook Administrator

Looks an awful lot like ninebark, Physocarpus opulifolius.
amelanchier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 10:30 AM   #15
Slapping, Swearing, Itching, Scratching Mosquito Bait

The leaves do, anyway. The lenticels and thorns remind me of an apple. I've seen crab apples with some lobed leaves but not quite like this plant. I also wondered about Hawthorns, but I can't find any with leaves like this.
swamp thing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 11:02 AM   #16
WG Facebook Administrator

Would help if I read the whole thread. :P They do remind me of hawthorn thorns with their length and general appearance. I suppose Ribes might be a possibility as well? Those are unfortunately two genuses I have never sorted out.
amelanchier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 12:24 PM   #17
Fox

Do I know how to pick 'em, or what?
Old 06-13-2010, 08:06 PM   #18
Official Plant Nerd

You picked a good one alright!!! The new growth is emerging like a Physocarpus. I'd rule out Vaccinium and Crataegus but that's just me. I think this is going to be in the Rosaceae Family. Probably some one hit ornamental horticultural wonder sold for a few years with polymorphic leaves like that???
Old 06-13-2010, 10:02 PM   #19
Fox

The thing is, my friend thinks that it's highly unlikely, although not impossible, that this was an intentionally planted specimen. His uncle had the farm before him and did little or no landscape work. When he took over the farm about 8 years ago, this thing was only about 6" tall. The only reason he didn't rip it out as a weed was that he had nothing to put in its place yet. Then it started growing like mad and responded well to his shaping efforts and he decided that he really liked it. He asked me if I could find out what it was and here we are! So, don't blame me, I was just trying to help out a friend, a noble undertaking if ever there was one.
Old 06-13-2010, 10:22 PM   #20
Official Plant Nerd

Plants are really hard to identify from photos anyway but... it's fun trying.... at least for me it is. My MIL even took a stab at your friend's plant. She guessed a spirea. There are a few polymorphic spireas but.... I don't think so. Another guess was a rhus aromatica variation. Ask your friend not to prune it this year so maybe next year we'll have some more clues.

Tags
bush, friend, plant, plant id, plant id photos, plant identification, plant photos, plants, shrub, shrub id, shrub identification, shrub photos, shrubbery, shrubs