Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Miscellaneous Gardening Boards > Help Identifying Plants

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-06-2010, 02:59 PM   #11
Official Plant Nerd

I don't have anything against poison ivy any more.... kids are all older. Now the ragweed.... that's another story. That makes my eyes water big time. Not so much sneezing like I do in grass and when trees are blooming but it really kills my eyes and then I start rubbing them and end up looking like Dracula's bride so I knock it back if there's too much of it.
Old 06-06-2010, 04:52 PM   #12
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

Quote:
It really kills my eyes and then I start rubbing them and end up looking like Dracula's bride.

I'll bring the hairspray!

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 06:59 PM   #13
Heron

I think your last photo is Giant Ragweed. Your third plant might be something in the Nightshade family, or it may be Equilibrium's Datura stramonium.

John
Old 06-07-2010, 07:38 PM   #14
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equilibrium View Post
...when trees are blooming but it really kills my eyes and then I start rubbing them and end up looking like Dracula's bride...
Quote:
Originally Posted by havalotta View Post

I'll bring the hairspray!
I think you should take a picture and use it as your new avatar!
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 03:09 AM   #15
Official Plant Nerd

jpdenk> Datura stramonium is in the Nightshade/Solanaceae Family, PLANTS Profile for Datura stramonium (jimsonweed) | USDA PLANTS. It's aka Jimsonweed.
dapjwy> I'd scare everybody if I used a photo of ragweeded me as an avatar.... it's not a pretty sight.
Old 06-20-2010, 12:31 AM   #16
Heron

Quote:
jpdenk> Datura stramonium is in the Nightshade/Solanaceae Family, PLANTS Profile for Datura stramonium (jimsonweed) | USDA PLANTS. It's aka Jimsonweed.
dapjwy> I'd scare everybody if I used a photo of ragweeded me as an avatar.... it's not a pretty sight.
Poor wording on my part: I knew that the Datura is in the Solanaceae,what I meant was that it might be something else in that family other than Datura. I was thinking it was maybe Horse Nettle, Solanum carolinense, but I didn't look at the full-res photo. Now that I did, I see that there are no spines, so it can't be that. I've seen something else that looks like Horse Nettle but without the spines, but I'll be darned if I can find anything like that in my field guides. So maybe it is a young specimen of Datura. When I compare the size of the plant to other things in the photo, it looks to small to be Datura. Or maybe it's just a young specimen of that species.

I guess the only way to tell for sure is to let it grow and bloom, that will make it easy to ID with certainty.

John
Old 06-20-2010, 12:14 PM   #17

Quote:
jpdenk>
Fine! I'll leave you alone, but you sure did pique my curiosity!

~smile~
Old 06-23-2010, 02:35 AM   #18
Official Plant Nerd

No go on an avatar of me as Dracula's bride even with her offer to spruce me up with hairspray..... I have low self esteem.
Old 06-26-2010, 10:39 PM   #19

Quote:
..... I have low self esteem.
We'll have to work on that! ~smile~
Old 06-26-2010, 10:58 PM   #20
Official Plant Nerd

Oh God.... you really want to see a photo of me all ragweeded out? I'll send it to you but.... fair warning.... you better pee before looking at it or you will laugh so hard it'll run down your leg.

Tags
alliaria petiolata, carota, datura, datura stramonium, daucus, daucus carota, form, garlic, garlic mustard, identification, identify weeds, images, nightshade, plant, plant id, plant identification, plant photos, plants, ragweed, stramonium, weed, weed id, weed identification, weeds, yard