Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Miscellaneous Gardening Boards > Help Identifying Plants

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-25-2010, 06:29 PM   #1
Butterfly Educator Extraordinaire

Default Tree needs ID

Hi guys,
My sister sent me these photos of her neighbor's tree. It grew by itself and rather quickly. I told her I thought it was catalpa, but I was not positive. She could not tell me if it had flowers or pods on it. She said the leaves are kind of hairy or furry. The neighbor did not plant the tree.

What does everyone think?

Thanks for the help.

Mary
Attached Thumbnails
Tree needs ID-tree.jpg   Tree needs ID-tree2.jpg   Tree needs ID-tree3.jpg   Tree needs ID-tree4.jpg  

http://mslenahan.edublogs.org/
bridget1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 08:17 PM   #2
Fox

I agree.
benj1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 08:42 PM   #3

Excellent. My sister never believes me unless I get confirmation from another source. I guess it is because I am her baby sister even though I am an adult!

Old 05-25-2010, 09:52 PM   #4
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
Originally Posted by bridget1964 View Post
Excellent. My sister never believes me unless I get confirmation from another source. I guess it is because I am her baby sister even though I am an adult!
I hate that! I'm the youngest (I hate saying the baby).

But there is hope, I remember in my late teens or early twenties, having a conversation with my oldest sister, she must've thought what I said was insightful and turn to me saying that she realized that I was growing up. So hang in there! ;-)
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 10:40 PM   #5
Mentor

I used to have two I'd cut down periodically since they were directly under a power line. They ended up being pretty nice looking as shrubs, actually... of course, I never got "cigars" that way.
midwesternerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 09:57 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwesternerr View Post
I used to have two I'd cut down periodically since they were directly under a power line. They ended up being pretty nice looking as shrubs, actually... of course, I never got "cigars" that way.
I can't really imagine them as a shrub; would love to see a photo of one if you have it!

Okay, next question, is it northern or southern catalpa? When I go on the USDA plant website, it shows the the southern to be native to NJ, but the northern is not. The northern catalpa is native in all the neighboring states around NJ, but NOT in Jersey. How is that possible? I see that happen every so often for different species and it baffles me.

Also, is either species considered to be invasive? The way they grow so quickly, I would think they would be...

Last edited by bridget1964; 05-26-2010 at 09:58 PM. Reason: additional question
Old 05-26-2010, 10:00 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dapjwy View Post
I hate that! I'm the youngest (I hate saying the baby).

But there is hope, I remember in my late teens or early twenties, having a conversation with my oldest sister, she must've thought what I said was insightful and turn to me saying that she realized that I was growing up. So hang in there! ;-)
I don't think it'll ever happen. I am the 6th out of 7 kids and will always be considered one of the babies. Ugh.

She does call me for computer advice on occasion, but only when her son can't clear up the viruses!

Old 05-27-2010, 06:24 AM   #8
Fox

The two significant differences between the species are the flowers and the mature tree size. Since neither of these is available, we can only guess. An old tree guide I have states that neither tree is native to the Atlantic coast states.
Old 05-27-2010, 06:22 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by benj1 View Post
The two significant differences between the species are the flowers and the mature tree size. Since neither of these is available, we can only guess. An old tree guide I have states that neither tree is native to the Atlantic coast states.
I thought so! I remember as a kid being told it was a non native tree! Now I use the USDA plant website and it states otherwise!

Northern Catalpa

Southern Catalpa

Old 05-27-2010, 08:49 PM   #10
Fox

Tree2 Opinions

This is one of those cases where there is some disagreement among "experts". See Missouri Plants. I'm inclined to distrust USDA here, partly because of that New Jersey discrepancy. I see that Tallamy has included Southern Catalpa in his Southeast list only.

Tags
tree