Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Miscellaneous Gardening Boards > Help Identifying Plants

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-23-2010, 02:45 PM   #21
Grub

Well benj1 you were right! it is Carrion Flower.

The plant is now over 5 ft and has fallen over. The flowers are starting to open. I think they smell more of vinegar than roting flesh right now. At least thats what i think.

Thanx for the help figuring this thing out!
Attached Thumbnails
2 plants need ID-dscf1351.jpg   2 plants need ID-dscf1352.jpg   2 plants need ID-dscf1353.jpg   2 plants need ID-dscf1355.jpg  
CitraBenzoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 04:26 PM   #22
Slapping, Swearing, Itching, Scratching Mosquito Bait

It's fun to see the progress as it grows - it's frustrating when people post a picture and don't reply or follow up with more pictures, which happens a lot on some other forums.
swamp thing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 05:37 PM   #23
A Bee's Best Friend

Hopefully I will recognize carrion flower if I run across it. My mother knew so many of the wild plants from the area where she was born. Some of it was passed on but mostly I have had to learn as an adult after having spent way to many years only knowing cultivated plants. I find these ID questions helpful in anchoring new information into this aging brain.

http://pollinators-welcome.blogspot.com/
Gloria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 08:17 PM   #24
Fox

I've opened my mouth before engaging my mind plenty of times, but comparing your photos to my plant, I was pretty confident you would come to the same conclusion in time. Your plants must be getting plenty of sun; mine is well shaded and doesn't have such well-developed flowers. Nice job with the latest photos.
benj1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
campion, carrion flower, herbacea, native, native perennial, native plant photos, native plants, plant id, plant identification, plant photos, plants, silene, silene latifolia, smilax, smilax herbacea, white campion