Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Miscellaneous Gardening Boards > Help Identifying Plants

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-24-2009, 09:33 PM   #1
Pope

Default Mystery sea oat-like grass

Anybody have a thought about this? I thought I did but I do not.

Mystery sea oat-like grass-chasmanthium1.jpg

Mystery sea oat-like grass-chasmanthium2.jpg
Each seed head is close to 3/4" long.

I do think that it is beautiful.
Hedgerowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 11:24 PM   #2
Official Plant Nerd

Looks like Chasmanthium but not likely. What about Uniola paniculata?
Old 08-25-2009, 05:11 AM   #3
Pope

Is it possible that the name has been changed? It seems that the common name is still sea oats (I do know that common names are misleading and it appears that they are up to their old tricks here, too).

Floridata says that Chasmanthium paniculata is a synonym for Uniola paniculata Floridata: Uniola paniculata

On the other hand, the Smithsonian Marine Station at Fort Pierce says that there is no synonymy for Uniola_panicu
Old 08-25-2009, 05:26 AM   #4
Salamander

Hedgerow, I was able to increase the size of your photographs, and you do indeed have Chasmanthium latifolium. Very nice picture.
Old 08-25-2009, 05:29 AM   #5
Pope

Thanks, Porterbrook! But I am left more confused than clarified now. It would appear that a grasses field book is next on the Amazon wish list.
Old 08-25-2009, 10:37 PM   #6
Official Plant Nerd

I think Floridata made a blooper, PLANTS Profile for Uniola paniculata (seaoats) | USDA PLANTS Uniola paniculata isn't a synonym for Chasmanthium latifolium but Uniola latifolia is, http://plants.usda.gov/java/profile?symbol=CHLA5. I'd see what you think for the plant you photographed being U. paniculata which has a lot more height to it than C. latifolium and the seeds are a different color. Brown v. black for each one respectively. This goes into the differences in habitat, http://plants.usda.gov/plantguide/pdf/pg_unpa.pdf

adding a site with good photos, http://www.seabean.com/guide/Uniola_...lata/index.htm
Old 08-26-2009, 04:09 AM   #7
Pope

Equilibrium, I believe that you are correct. My sea oats must be Uniola paniculata. Everything in the USDA plant guide sheet fits perfectly.

I had forgotten about the Seabean site; thank you for mentioning it. I have stumbled across it before and think that the project is interesting. It adds another element to the "is it native or is it introduced?" issue. As usual, you bring the most interesting information to the table, Equilibrium.

Tags
grass, mystery, oatlike, sea