Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Miscellaneous Gardening Boards > Help Identifying Plants

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-12-2012, 06:51 PM   #31
Fox

pawprint kind of spindly looking shrub

ty in advance if anyone can help identify this thing. It has light rose colored berries, sparsely fruited. The berries don't taste too good, but not terrible either. I only have the one area of them that grow in a patch about 20' square, mostly shaded overhead in the woods. It stands a little more than 2' tall.

wildwatcher
Attached Thumbnails
Here's a new one to identify.-fall2012-026.jpg   Here's a new one to identify.-fall2012-027.jpg  
wildwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 07:42 PM   #32
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Sorry, I don't know what it is but...
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwatcher View Post
It has light rose colored berries, sparsely fruited. The berries don't taste too good, but not terrible either.
...I'm a little shocked that you would taste something that you have no idea what it is!
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 08:11 AM   #33
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dapjwy View Post
Sorry, I don't know what it is but......I'm a little shocked that you would taste something that you have no idea what it is!
Yup! Nice knowing you wildwatcher.

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 10:02 AM   #34
Official Plant Nerd

Hmmmm.... pink berries, eh? I'm racking my brain... I know some plants in the Symphoricarpos genus have pink berries but the leaves are all wrong for that. I've seen some bush honeysuckles... Lonicera spp. with pink berries but those are far and few between and I waste those anytime I see em since they're invasive. What color blooms did the plant have if you remember? Can you try for some more photos that show the undersides of the leaves and if you could.... just some more close up photos so I can get a take on what the leaf arrangement is... it looks opposite but... hard to tell.
Old 10-14-2012, 04:54 PM   #35
Heron

Default Looks like beautyberry, kinda.

Please quit tasting things when you don't know what they are! We'd like to keep you around for a bit! Check out the genus Callicarpa.
Old 10-14-2012, 06:07 PM   #36
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairiefreak View Post
Please quit tasting things when you don't know what they are! We'd like to keep you around for a bit!
Thanks, Prairiefreak...you said that much nicer than I did.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 09:10 PM   #37
Curious George & UAOKA recipient

I think it might be Amur honeysuckle, Lonicera maackii. The berries are a little faded, but the habitus of the plant looks right.

Far be it for me to beat a dead horse (mine isn't dead, yet!), but eating berries from an unidentified shrub is a really, really bad idea!!!

Turttle's pollinator garden
turttle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 10:52 PM   #38
Fox

pawprint ~~post 31, continues

As you may recall, (before the dead horse incident) I was hoping for some help with ID of this thing that lives in full shade. It has been there many years, and tyty everyone for the suggestions! I've been looking on the internet at honeysuckles, and beauty berries, and everything suggested.

If it is a beauty berry it isn't the americana, that I am familiar with, but I couldn't really track out another variety of Callicarpa to compare it with. So I took a few more pix, with a sheet of plastic to help with the contrast, but my photography is awful~~ so anyone please feel free to beat on that horse also! (its ok I'm alot tuffer than I look) yyyyyyeeeeeee hawwwww

pix 017 shows the shaggy woody like bark on the narrow stems, probably only a 1/4" in diameter in the base region of the thing.

pix 018 shows the sparse, rose colored berries, (less than 3/16" diameter), when berry is crushed it seems to only have 1 seed inside. The leaves slightly wider than 1 1/8" are oval, and arranged opposite one another.

pix 019 shows the opposite arrangement better & the underside of the leaves & the berries, the berries seem immature and whitish yet on the undersides.

pix 016 shows the measured height of the shrub, it is actually about 3' tall, I misspoke in earlier post and thought it was 2' tall.

pix 015 shows a distinct 'runner' with nodules, this runner seemed to be upper part of the main stem.

pix 012 shows primarily (1) bush, or maybe 2....LOL

perhaps some of your suggested ID's were correct, and it is me, working with the internet that can't seem to find this thing so I can positively ID it.

wildwatcher
Attached Thumbnails
Here's a new one to identify.-white-background2012-017.jpg   Here's a new one to identify.-white-background2012-018.jpg   Here's a new one to identify.-white-background2012-016.jpg   Here's a new one to identify.-white-background2012-015.jpg   Here's a new one to identify.-white-background2012-012.jpg  

Old 10-17-2012, 07:55 PM   #39
Fox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equilibrium View Post
Hmmmm.... pink berries, eh? I'm racking my brain... I know some plants in the Symphoricarpos genus have pink berries but the leaves are all wrong for that.
I think you went off on the wrong track here, Equil. Try Symphoricarpos orbiculatus. "Twigs and leaf undersides barely or quite hairy. Pith solid, white. Scales present where twigs meet the branchlets."
benj1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 09:36 AM   #40
Fox

Thumbs up identification made, and all is well

Symphoricarpos orbiculatus Moench ...

with common names: Coralberry, Indian currant, Buckbrush...and it is a native plant, of the honeysuckle family.

According to PLANTS Profile for Symphoricarpos orbiculatus (coralberry) | USDA PLANTS

results of search

Interestingly it is a pretty little plant, also used as an 'eye wash' medicine, made from the root bark, or inner bark, or leaves.

Thank you Benji1, for the ID, ~~~if there is anything I can do for you, let me know.

wildwatcher

Tags
allium, allium canadense, arvense, canadense, clover, euphorbia, euphorbia leuconeura, gall, identify, leuconeura, oak gall, osmorhiza longistylis-sweetroot, plant id, plant identification, plant photos, rabbit's foot clover, rhizomes, runner, spoangia, stalk, symphoricarpos orbiculatus moench-buckbrush, trifolium, trifolium arvense, trifolium arvense page