Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Miscellaneous Gardening Boards > Help Identifying Plants

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-15-2009, 12:08 AM   #1
Official Plant Nerd

Default Well well well... what's this?

Have at it folks. Photos aren't the greatest because I was losing light. There's only one of them. Have never seen one of these growing by me before.
Attached Thumbnails
Well well well... what's this?-foundthisoddballplant1.jpg   Well well well... what's this?-foundthisoddballplant2.jpg   Well well well... what's this?-foundthisoddballplant3.jpg  
Old 06-15-2009, 12:17 AM   #2
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

Not a for leaf clover,umbrella plant or arrowleaf. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm must be deciduous. No idea.
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 12:48 AM   #3
Slapping, Swearing, Itching, Scratching Mosquito Bait

Don't you have the mayapples / Podophyllum peltatum growing there? Or maybe you don't recognize it because it has fewer leaves than most.
swamp thing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 06:07 AM   #4
WG Guardian Spirit

Sure looks like a 4-leafed Mayapple to me.
JennyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 10:05 AM   #5
Heron

Young mayapple, I think.
Prairiefreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 12:08 AM   #6
Official Plant Nerd

I have hundreds of mayapples. Two different colonies. It has many of the same characteristics of the mayapples which is why I showed the underside of the leaf but... it doesn't look anything like the seedlings I remember germinating. I tried to compare it to a seedling in one of my colonies and couldn't. There weren't any seedlings which surprised me. I got down and looked under the canopy of mayapples and couldn't find even one seedling. Straaaaaaaaaange. The seedlings I germinated were more of a three leaf seedling once they were the size of this plant and they didn't look like a forked tongue. I also don't remember my seedlings being hairy and this plant is fuzzy. You can see some of the fine hairs in the photos. Now watch, next year it will morph and look like a mayapple all grown up prim and proper. I'll stick a stake by this and call it the fuzzy 4-leaf fork tongued mayapple for now.
Old 06-16-2009, 12:57 AM   #7
Slapping, Swearing, Itching, Scratching Mosquito Bait

Yes, I figured you knew what mayapples were..

The descriptions say "abaxially pubescent", and yours does look more fuzzy than any I've seen, but compare it to a couple pics taken this spring. These had no hairs. I took the first picture because I was struck by how many of these plants were eaten by deer; to me, it looks just like your plant without the pubescence
Attached Thumbnails
Well well well... what's this?-013.jpg   Well well well... what's this?-014.jpg  
swamp thing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 05:51 PM   #8
Salamander

I notice most pictures have leaves on the ground. Can you buy or save leaves and spread them around to protect your soil and plants in place of using newspaper?
Old 06-16-2009, 11:58 PM   #9
Official Plant Nerd

I think you could. The leaves in my photos aren't imported. They're from the trees the plants are growing under. The best time to get leaves is in the fall when curb side leaf collection is underway. Hold off taking leaves the first time the truck comes because you'll end up with a lot of garbage in the bags. The second time the truck comes by you'll get more leaves and fewer plastic bags and food wrappers to sort out. Don't be shy about taking bagged leaves from the curb. Somebody did all the work for you and it would be a shame for free leaves to end up in some city compost pile.
Old 06-17-2009, 02:30 PM   #10
WG Staff

Quote:
Well well well... what's this?
A mayapple

« Big weed | Shrub ID »