Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening

Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening (http://www.wildlifegardeners.org/forum/wildlife-gardeners.php)
-   Help Identifying Plants (http://www.wildlifegardeners.org/forum/help-identifying-plants/)
-   -   Buddleia? (http://www.wildlifegardeners.org/forum/help-identifying-plants/1597-buddleia.html)

bubbleoffplumb 04-22-2009 09:06 AM

Buddleia?

4 Attachment(s)
a few of the folks at gardeweb suggested this is most likely Buddleia.

opposite leaves - *check*
fine "teeth" at edges of said leaves - *check*
leaves green above/white hairy cast below - *check*
young stems greenish/older brown gray bark - *check*

it does seem to have elbowed it's way into it's current location, and branches that are touching the ground seem to be making new stems.

I admit, I might be a bit in denial here, but I hate to yank it out unless i know for sure - are there any other identification details I can look closely for? or anything to compare it to?

Fret not, if it's positively identified it WILL be featured in the "graphic violence" thread.

Im4dabirds 04-22-2009 04:10 PM

Sure looks like it to me. Coupled with the fact that it 'elbowed' it's way in, I think I'd yank it. But that's easy for me to say. It's not in my yard. :)

joepyeweed 04-22-2009 04:37 PM

I usually let things get bigger so there is no mistaking what I am killing.

mrimomma 04-22-2009 05:23 PM

Looks like the honeysuckle bushes I have in my yard. (NE Wisconsin)

biigblueyes 04-22-2009 06:26 PM

I'm going to be bad here - it seems to have woody stems, with this year's new growth coming out rather high on the old stalk.

What was it last year? :D:p:D

doccat5 04-22-2009 06:32 PM

I does look like the villain. I can't say for sure those, as the 5 plants I had all went to the landfill heaven down the road.

bubbleoffplumb 04-22-2009 07:37 PM

2 Attachment(s)
thanks everyone for responding

Quote:

Originally Posted by biigblueyes (Post 17191)
I'm going to be bad here - it seems to have woody stems, with this year's new growth coming out rather high on the old stalk.

What was it last year? :D:p:D

actually this bit of badness :) brings up a really good point -

I did notice it last year - pics below were taken in june 08. I posted, and at that time there were no ID's suggested. I think I probably waited for the thing to flower
(this is sometimes problematic in my "garden", as I have illusions of grandeur when it comes to sun exposure).

well, it never did.
I guess that may mean waiting for it to flower this year would be kind of futile, huh? :o

Equilibrium 04-22-2009 10:07 PM

Buddleja is a woody perennial. In northern reaches the stems will die back to the ground every year. It looks like Buddleja. Butterfly bushes like more sun than the location where that one popped up. Why don't you wait it out and see if it blooms if you have a little voice that is telling you it might not be Buddleja. What's the harm. If it blooms you could always whack it back then before it gets a chance to set seed.

Prairiefreak 04-22-2009 11:33 PM

It looks like some kind of honeysuckle to me. The only things leafing out in the field as of last saturday were buckthorn, japanese honeysuckle, and garlic mustard.

I have buddleia. A really nice one, that I won't give up. If it should die during a hard winter, it won't be replaced. I dead-head it religiously. That's the key. If you're going to have this plant, you MUST dead head it. If you dead-head it, there is no environmental damage, and no chance for spreading by stolon.

TheLorax 04-25-2009 11:13 AM

Quote:

I have buddleia. A really nice one, that I won't give up.
Please put Equil in your will to inherit your beloved Buddleya. She will promise to honor and cherish it and take very good care of it for you.