Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Habitat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-09-2012, 12:58 PM   #41
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Very cool photo, Hava!
Quote:
Originally Posted by linrose View Post

dap - please ID the plants in your photos, the tall white ones and the pinks. Your paths are narrower than mine, I usually mow two passes with the Cub Cadet, one and a half on the side paths. I just went out yesterday to mow again after a little vaca, it didn't take long for the grass to get long and my container plants to dry out. I had to do a lot of maintenance yesterday and today. At least it's back in the high 80s instead of 106 when we landed in Nashville on Saturday.
Most of my paths are fairly narrow...except for the right-of-way which is mowed very wide.

The tall white ones are Erigeron and the pink one is a wild rose, Rosa carolina, I think.

I'm glad the temps finally dropped for you...it was pretty hot the whole week I was there. My cousin told me it would drop into 80s the day we left.

I was really concerned about my plant ghetto, but I was pleased to see that everything is doing fine--seems we got a good bit of rain a day or two before we returned. I'm glad our temps here have dropped too.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 01:30 PM   #42
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by linrose View Post
Ockraz huh? Wonder what that means? I got interested in oversized outdoor art and here's a fun site.
BIG art Claes Oldenburg, Clothespin, 1976
Thanks, I'll look into it.
I typed in Ockras clothes pin and found it here Giant Clothespin / Fab.com on imgfave
Just Ockras pulled in a site leading in with razor blades. YIKES!

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 01:53 PM   #43
WG Fundraising Coordinator

Yeah, I saw that razorblade site too, eek!

I still would like to know who created that sculpture. It's way cool!
linrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 08:36 AM   #44
Fox

musical notes3 panorama: a old album produced by The Cars

I think I figured out how to splice two pixs together, in 'Paint Program'. Open your first/left pix in the program, then open your 2nd/right pix in 'Paint', but in it's own new window. Go back to the first/left pix-window, and look at the menus at the top of the window, look thru there, and find 'view' and then: 'zoom'...a little drop-down thing will open up and 'zoom' the first/left pix to: 25%. Then on the same first/left pix, find a menu that says: 'Image', a drop-down thing will open up and 'attributes', click 'attributes', a little window will open and there is a numeric size for the 'width'...change that number, by double. If the number was 1260, edit the width to 2520 & say OK.

Now ya got a blank place in the first/left pix that you can C+P another image into...kind of! Go to the second/right pix window, make sure it is 'zoomed' also to 25%, find 'select all' then Rt click on the pix & select 'copy'. Go back to the first/left pix, and RT. click on the pix & select 'paste'. Now the second/right pix is in the same window as the first/left pix, ~only thing is~ ya gotta 'grab & move' the image and slide it over till it fits the blank spot, or until it seems to line up properly. Now the image should look like ya want it...close the window & tell it to 'save', change the name of the thing or it will replace your original pix!

Check out my sample of two pixs stuck together.

Weird game huh?

wildwatcher
Attached Thumbnails
The Big Picture-mushrooms-moss-017.jpg  
wildwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 07:15 PM   #45

YEY! You succeeded at making your first splice. Bit of a challenge if you are not familiar with paint at all.
Whoop whoop Congratulations WW

After shrinking them both in paint you can capture all OR part of the image by using the cut out symbol, hit copy, move over to the second photo and hit paste and drag it wherever you wish. To change the width and height just pull and tug the double arrow that shows up JUST as you go over the boundries or corners. Real easy once you move through it a few times. I recall the day I finally figured it out all by my lonesome.
Took me like For-e-ver!

Old 09-19-2012, 07:37 PM   #46
Fox

tyty Havalotta for the C+P tip, hopefully I'll get some big pictures on here soon.

ww
wildwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 07:44 PM   #47

Yesterday I had the time...Today I'm browsing.

Old 07-26-2013, 12:29 PM   #48

I still find myself taking close-ups mostly. Today, I took a wider shot and thought of this thread. After a little searching, I found it. Here is a view with my few meadow wildflowers in the foreground:

The Big Picture-thebigpicture.jpg

Unfortunately, this is a section that I just added natives to the original mass of plants, and for now, there is mugwort and timothy grass there among several other non-natives. This will be remedied...eventually.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
Old 07-27-2013, 10:14 AM   #49

Looks like something I'd like to take a walk in.
How on earth are you to get control over something as large as that!

Old 07-27-2013, 12:27 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by havalotta View Post
Looks like something I'd like to take a walk in.
Thank you...I enjoy walking the paths often.

Quote:
Originally Posted by havalotta View Post
How on earth are you to get control over something as large as that!
Exactly! That is why I freak out at regular intervals! I finally came to the conclusion that I will have to smother large areas of weeds, and then direct sow a wide variety of meadow plants including grasses, sedges, and reeds (I have to research those).

There is a smaller section that I smothered two summers ago. I am planting "plugs" that I grew myself from collected seeds. Each year I buy more varieties of potted native flowers, then I collect the seeds and propagate them...I can't imagine trying to buy hundreds of each species to get the look I imagine.

Tags
big, big picture, brush, long shots, meadow, natives, panorama, paths, photos, picture, plants, property, saplings, shrubs, trees, wide angle, yard