Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Habitat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-12-2012, 10:31 PM   #11
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Here are some more "big picture" a.k.a long shots...and one a bit closer (I couldn't resist) to show the little start of natives growing there (in time I hope to have huge colonies of penstemon along with native grasses and other wildflowers) :
Attached Thumbnails
The Big Picture-dsc03282.jpg   The Big Picture-dsc03195.jpg   The Big Picture-dsc03196.jpg  
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 09:44 AM   #12
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

Ahhhhhhhhhh The countryside. So inviting for a stroll in the long wind blown grass.

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 10:25 AM   #13
WG Fundraising Coordinator

Nice dap! I love the rainy shot, it gives the scene a moodiness. Also the random remnant of fence is cool, it looks like someone made a jump for horses there. Nice to see your penstemons are doing well, a whole colony there would be spectacular.

I should get out and take some new photos. The butterflyweed is blooming now and we have more than ever before which is great. I was worried because we bushhogged the field last year that they wouldn't come back as strong but I was wrong, happily. Those little touches of orange are really nice amid the grasses.
linrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 02:40 PM   #14
WG Fundraising Coordinator

Some from today. Not great shots because I took them at midday, not in the evening when the light is best but still OK.

The last one is just because I couldn't resist, I love butterflyweed!
Attached Thumbnails
The Big Picture-unmown-field.jpg   The Big Picture-sinkhole.jpg   The Big Picture-sycamore-grove.jpg   The Big Picture-upper-field-butterflyweed.jpg   The Big Picture-butterflyweed.jpg  

linrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 03:04 PM   #15
WG Facilitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack View Post
that beautiful strange looking (perhaps alien) tree in the foreground!!!
And just what is the tree that is slated for execution?
Old 06-13-2012, 04:25 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by biigblueyes View Post
And just what is the tree that is slated for execution?

That was...is...a Japanese maple.

I tried girdling it late this winter...but it I'm finding it will take more than that to kill it. (Or maybe I didn't do the girdling well enough.)
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
Old 06-13-2012, 04:31 PM   #17

I like that you are keeping a path mowed so it won't fill in with saplings, and brush.

Old 06-13-2012, 04:40 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by linrose View Post
Some from today. Not great shots because I took them at midday, not in the evening when the light is best but still OK.

The last one is just because I couldn't resist, I love butterflyweed!

The shots look fine...but I do know what you mean about early morning or late evening sun.

I love the sink hole and sycamore grove.

I don't blame you for including some close ups. My original idea was to show a beautiful cropped photo, then the setting in which it grows...maybe even successive shots close, mid, far.

Thanks for playing.
Old 06-13-2012, 04:55 PM   #19

Some how I almost missed these comments:

Quote:
Originally Posted by havalotta View Post
Ahhhhhhhhhh The countryside. So inviting for a stroll in the long wind blown grass.
Yes, in the back of my mind, I was just a (very) little concerned about moving out into the country. I always said I was a country boy. Now I know it is true! At least I love living in the country...even if I'm not a typical country boy.

I love it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by linrose View Post
Nice dap! I love the rainy shot, it gives the scene a moodiness. Also the random remnant of fence is cool, it looks like someone made a jump for horses there. Nice to see your penstemons are doing well, a whole colony there would be spectacular.

I should get out and take some new photos. The butterflyweed is blooming now and we have more than ever before which is great. I was worried because we bushhogged the field last year that they wouldn't come back as strong but I was wrong, happily. Those little touches of orange are really nice amid the grasses.
I'm glad you enjoyed the rainy shot. When the rain came down with the sun still shining, I grabbed the camera. It happened last year too. Maybe next time, I'll try to get shots of something else in that lighting with the rain coming down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by havalotta View Post
I like that you are keeping a path mowed so it won't fill in with saplings, and brush.
Who, me or linrose?

I love having paths to stroll. Without paths, how would I enjoy the yard?
Old 06-16-2012, 08:02 AM   #20

You.

Tags
big, big picture, brush, long shots, meadow, natives, panorama, paths, photos, picture, plants, property, saplings, shrubs, trees, wide angle, yard