Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Habitat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2018, 09:30 PM   #141
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack View Post
Your property sets off well in the winter snow, Dap. It's come a long way. Very nice!!!

I no longer get to see my yard in wintertime, as I've been spending my winters in Florida for the past few years - I bought a place down her to get way from the cold that my old bones no longer agree with. I mss aspects of it - mostly the beauty you so well demonstrated in your pictures, but it does allow me to get out and around and go for my daily walks for exercise.

At any rate, beautiful pictures!!!
Thank you, Jack.

I guess it has come far...but it still has a long way to go to become my vision.

The snow helps to simplify things...and hide a lot as well. I am very happy with the pictures.

As for winter, I appreciate it in small doses...and I wish it were much shorter.

You probably got the better deal with your trade-off; getting out and about and exercising keeps you happier, healthier, and young, I'm sure.

If you really miss seeing your property in the snow, ask someone to take some pictures and send them to you!
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 10:08 AM   #142
Great Horned Owl

Quote:
Originally Posted by dapjwy View Post
Thank you, Jack.

I guess it has come far...but it still has a long way to go to become my vision.

The snow helps to simplify things...and hide a lot as well. I am very happy with the pictures.

As for winter, I appreciate it in small doses...and I wish it were much shorter.

You probably got the better deal with your trade-off; getting out and about and exercising keeps you happier, healthier, and young, I'm sure.

If you really miss seeing your property in the snow, ask someone to take some pictures and send them to you!
I do have a neighbor who sends me photos, and they are rewarding to see, but, as you can well imagine, being there in the storm and seeing a picture of it are worlds apart. I sometimes wish I could be there for the duration of the storm, and then "beam" myself out of there and back down here. Also, you used the words "trade off," which I think is accurate. I find most things in life are a trade off, and the panacea we all seek evades like a greased eel. Florida is by no means my idea of an ideal place, but when I see the temps and know I'd have cabin fever, I continue to find refuge here, no matter the holes and shortcomings of the refuge...

I miss the classroom and the intellectual stimulation and socialization it provided, but the suggestion that everyone gives of trying substitute teaching is no solution, to my mind. As a teacher of Seniors, each year when they left earlier than the other grades after graduation, I would get recruited to sit in for any substitute needs, which I always found to be glorified baby sitting. What I miss is the designed curriculum and syllabus that provided the objective and measured the success of the students and, thus, myself.

Don't retire before your time...

So sad to hear of Wildwatcher's passing. That caught me by surprise. Somehow I had an image in my mind of a hale and hearty middle aged man in great condition with so much interest in life and nature. I miss his posts already...

Oracle at Delphi
jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 10:24 PM   #143

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack View Post
I do have a neighbor who sends me photos, and they are rewarding to see, but, as you can well imagine, being there in the storm and seeing a picture of it are worlds apart. I sometimes wish I could be there for the duration of the storm, and then "beam" myself out of there and back down here. Also, you used the words "trade off," which I think is accurate. I find most things in life are a trade off, and the panacea we all seek evades like a greased eel. Florida is by no means my idea of an ideal place, but when I see the temps and know I'd have cabin fever, I continue to find refuge here, no matter the holes and shortcomings of the refuge...

I miss the classroom and the intellectual stimulation and socialization it provided, but the suggestion that everyone gives of trying substitute teaching is no solution, to my mind. As a teacher of Seniors, each year when they left earlier than the other grades after graduation, I would get recruited to sit in for any substitute needs, which I always found to be glorified baby sitting. What I miss is the designed curriculum and syllabus that provided the objective and measured the success of the students and, thus, myself.

Don't retire before your time...

So sad to hear of Wildwatcher's passing. That caught me by surprise. Somehow I had an image in my mind of a hale and hearty middle aged man in great condition with so much interest in life and nature. I miss his posts already...
I hear you on wishing you could enjoy the storm, then teleport out of it, so you don't have to deal with the rest of it.

Having worked in the school system for around a quarter of a century, I understand completely where you are coming from. Although, I am not a teacher, I get it.

I'm not thinking of retiring any time soon (no where near in a position to retire). When hearing people say that they don't know what they would do with themselves, I always think it respond, that I have plenty to keep me occupied. However, you bring up a good point regarding mental (and social) stimulation. Hopefully, you can get a small taste of that here on WG.

Yes, still shocked at wildwatcher's passing.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
Old 01-29-2018, 10:27 AM   #144
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

I don't understand how-why some people just don't know what to do with themselves when they retire.
I suppose it may have something to do with working so much that they didn't have the interest or the time to pursue other venues in life.

If you've spent your whole life working and coming home to relax and watch TV or look at your hand held devices, don't socialize, go to events or shows or take interest in collecting something, the weekends are wasted on tinkering at home, in the home, on your home. You haven't built yourself a back ground to build upon when you retire.

It's like going to a new school. You need to take a good look inside yourself and decide what you'd like to pursue, socializing, learning a new skill, sharing YOUR knowledge or talents with others? Try your hand at teaching a one night class at a school or an event, perhaps a weekly-continuation-branching of the very topic you are so skilled at? Meeting like minded people builds new friendships! and you can't have too many friends....

Now me....I've way too many things I want to play with in myfuture. I'm going to need and extension, maybe even two!

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 06:35 PM   #145

Great advice. Great post, havalotta.

Tags
big, big picture, brush, long shots, meadow, natives, panorama, paths, photos, picture, plants, property, saplings, shrubs, trees, wide angle, yard