Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Habitat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2018, 08:45 PM   #131
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
Originally Posted by havalotta View Post
Found a vintage map of our yard:
Attachment 45360
Back in 1994 (Just after our home purchase) I moved 48 plants -Of those, 9 didn't make the transfer.
The map itself's dated 2012 and there's been MANY MANY changes over the years ever since!

The poppy bed's now round, not a seed spitting poppy in it. The maple bed's grown thrice fold, many of the invasives and time consumers pulled, replaced, some of the beds enlarged some removed entirely.
Very cool find.

It sounds like you gave made a lot of positive changes. Good job!

I have finally lived here long enough that I could compare some before and after shots--too bad most of the changes are still very small.

I have to pull out (search for, then post) some of my aerial shots.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 08:32 AM   #132
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

After I found the map, I went into my yearly floral folders and gathered together those which you call the big shot. Overlooking an area rather than close ups. Most were close ups but here and there I found a few between 2009 (when I went digital) and beyond. Lots of fun looking at all the changes that had taken place.

There are shots of some I wished now I would have kept...some where the trumpet vine's forced it's way inside along the edges of a back door in it's wee stages and grew and expanded inside before it was noticed, the virginia creeper taking over the back entry, a smoke bush I tried espalier upon that took down the entire eves in a windstorm, a trumpet vine eating up and popping off an entry light. Ahhh the trials of a gardener and.....
the success and happiness of a good hard days toil in the love of the outdoors.

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 09:49 PM   #133

That sounds like you had to remove a lot of your favorites...but for good reason.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
Old 01-17-2018, 09:54 PM   #134

I took several pictures today, that I just realized may work well for this thread. Not only is it a big picture, it is also simplified by the bare branches and snow covered ground.

I will try to post more later...some apparently are too big to upload. Here are two of them:
The Big Picture-received_10215085236987405.jpg

Attachment 45387
Attached Thumbnails
The Big Picture-20180117_105307.jpg  
Old 01-18-2018, 05:44 PM   #135

Beautiful Just Beautiful!
I so wish I had such an immaculate view from my home.

Old 01-18-2018, 07:40 PM   #136

Quote:
Beautiful Just Beautiful!
I so wish I had such an immaculate view from my home.
Thank you.

Yes, I love the view. I try to keep it in mind when choosing what trees I plant.
Old 01-18-2018, 08:15 PM   #137

Perhaps I should have started a thread about winter beauty, but I so seldom take many "big picture" shots...I tend to take close-ups...so I am posting them here.

The Big Picture-20180118_194738.jpg

(Elm tree in my hedgerow...with my biggest brushpile.)

The Big Picture-20180118_194806.jpg

(Future meadow with house in background.)

The Big Picture-20180118_195628.jpg

(Our barn with added dogwoods along the side. Vegetable garden planned for far left. Foreground slope: I hope to add lower growing native grasses with a mosaic of low-growing natives such as phlox subulata, pussytoes, wild strawberries, etc.)

The Big Picture-20180118_194655.jpg

(What I have been calling my "would-be-woods"...after losing an elm and two of three trunks from a large wild cherry, it looks less like woods than when I started. There are young trees that I added are starting to make their presence known: another elm, silver maple, boxelder, beech, and oak. I plan to add a tulip tree and some sycamores...and more oaks.)

The Big Picture-20180118_195331.jpg

(Our view from the back yard...shrubs are around my original small pond ("Phase I")...which needs re-done. I also plan to put stream along the slope and larger pond ("Phase II"). I have to put all of my focus and energies into the pond this spring. I'm not getting any younger.
Old 01-18-2018, 10:25 PM   #138

I like the lead in path to your would be woods. It make me want to enter and see more.
Love that last photo. Do tell me you're going to keep it free and open beyond the trickling water and ponds. It's a lovely soothing hillside view.
Don't loose that view of the hills. We haven't a hill in sight where we live

Old 01-20-2018, 07:39 PM   #139

Quote:
I like the lead in path to your would be woods. It make me want to enter and see more.
Love that last photo. Do tell me you're going to keep it free and open beyond the trickling water and ponds. It's a lovely soothing hillside view.
Don't loose that view of the hills. We haven't a hill in sight where we live
Thank you.

That is actually the back entrance to the woods...but I often go that way--through the paths of the meadow, down the slope and into the woods. I do wish that I hadn't lost the large, two-trunked elm (and later, the snag blew down, too). It used to feel more like a woodland before losing some of the little canopy trees that I had.

I think adding the tulip tree and sycamores will help it full again...more quickly than the oak and beech. I am still hopeful to see it looking like a woodland before I "leave this Earth".

As for the view, from the beginning, I knew that I would not want to block that view. The openness of the water will help...then, I plan to plant only shorter trees--because of the slope, I think I could get away with trees even taller than 30 ft., but I will am wary. I did put in another black.gum...that, by my experience top out around 30 ft. (although, I have read that they can get much taller.

I would also like to add sandbar willow.

There are a couple of red mulberry that I added near the end of the slope-- I have never grown them, but I don't think they get very tall. The trees that are already growing there are mostly wild cherry (mature height ~60 ft., I think)...so, I think the view will be safe (from the deck...and surely from the second story window. )

I also plan to keep a lot of open space (the meadow and a lower rocky pasture)...at least that is the plan. I want to keep this prime bluebird habitat.
Old 01-23-2018, 08:51 AM   #140
Great Horned Owl

Your property sets off well in the winter snow, Dap. It's come a long way. Very nice!!!

I no longer get to see my yard in wintertime, as I've been spending my winters in Florida for the past few years - I bought a place down her to get way from the cold that my old bones no longer agree with. I mss aspects of it - mostly the beauty you so well demonstrated in your pictures, but it does allow me to get out and around and go for my daily walks for exercise.

At any rate, beautiful pictures!!!

Oracle at Delphi
jack is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
big, big picture, brush, long shots, meadow, natives, panorama, paths, photos, picture, plants, property, saplings, shrubs, trees, wide angle, yard