Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Habitat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-01-2011, 03:38 PM   #1
Grub

Default What has just started blooming in your garden?

Today the clethra alnifolia in my yard finally started blooming. I was tipped off by the increased pollinator activity (they've been stopping by to check on the yet-to-open blossoms for several days...).

If you are not familiar with this New England native, the scent is spectacular.
Attached Thumbnails
What has just started blooming in your garden?-2011-08-01-clethra-blooming-4-email.jpg  
Old 08-01-2011, 03:43 PM   #2
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

I have heard of it and I was supposed to buy some last year, can't remember why I put it back--either not the straight species, or I decided to go with more black gum trees since I don't see them often.

I didn't realize that they scent was so spectacular--you make me want it all the more.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 09:54 AM   #3
Grub

Quote:
Originally Posted by dapjwy View Post
I didn't realize that they scent was so spectacular--you make me want it all the more.
I think it's a little bit like jasmine - sweet but kind of musky. The books say the scent can carry as far as 50 feet! I have one still little plant, so it's not much except up close, but I have hopes of it taking off (and of buying a few more)...

How about you? What's blooming in your yard at this point?
Old 08-02-2011, 10:33 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by papercarver View Post
I think it's a little bit like jasmine - sweet but kind of musky.

Good to know. Years ago, I did some landscaping for a friend of ours...and she mentioned loving jasmine. I wish I'd known at the time that I could've suggested a native with a similar smell. ....actually I have no idea what jasmine smells like, so the "sweet but kind of musky" helps a bit.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
Old 08-04-2011, 05:49 AM   #5
Offical Silphium Abuser

We have three young clethra that are doing well and one (put in just this year, and the only one bought from a "regular" nursery) that is struggling. The scent is wonderful, but the plants do need a fair amount of water.
Rebek56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 12:18 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebek56 View Post
We have three young clethra that are doing well and one (put in just this year, and the only one bought from a "regular" nursery) that is struggling. The scent is wonderful, but the plants do need a fair amount of water.
I thought of them for near the (future) pond...I may have to make a bog/wetland area with a liner.
Old 08-04-2011, 03:47 PM   #7
Great Horned Owl

Quote:
Originally Posted by dapjwy View Post
I thought of them for near the (future) pond...I may have to make a bog/wetland area with a liner.
That would be more necessary with, say, button bush. I find my Clethara pretty able to withstand moderate dryness, so I just make sure that if it's been particularly dry that I give it a drink every once in a while. Now, the button bush is a different story. It cannot tolerate dryness, that's why I have mine, not near the pond, but in it!

Oracle at Delphi
jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 11:25 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack View Post
That would be more necessary with, say, button bush. I find my Clethara pretty able to withstand moderate dryness, so I just make sure that if it's been particularly dry that I give it a drink every once in a while. Now, the button bush is a different story. It cannot tolerate dryness, that's why I have mine, not near the pond, but in it!
Thanks for the info...hopefully, when I'm ready to plant, I'll remember or find this thread. I do remember you stating your button bush was in a pot in the pond...so mybe I can remember this.
Old 08-05-2011, 03:45 AM   #9
Grub

I have large Salvia Penstemenoids blooming like crazy with big purple flowers. It loves moist soil so I have it planted where the air conditioner drips. This is the strangest smelling plant. Smells like old antique furniture sometimes does when you open the door or a drawer, thats the closest comparison I can come up with. When it rained you could smell it several feet away and the entire courtyard was fragrant. Its a Texas Native once thought to have disappeared until someone ran across it growing wild. I got a few seeds from a woman in Austin. I keep checking it for seed on the spent blooms and haven't seen a single one yet. Maybe I have no pollinator? I think I will try drying it to see if it smells good dry when it needs to be cut back.
savannah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 08:28 AM   #10
Great Horned Owl

Quote:
Originally Posted by savannah View Post
I have large Salvia Penstemenoids blooming like crazy with big purple flowers. It loves moist soil so I have it planted where the air conditioner drips. This is the strangest smelling plant. Smells like old antique furniture sometimes does when you open the door or a drawer, thats the closest comparison I can come up with. When it rained you could smell it several feet away and the entire courtyard was fragrant. Its a Texas Native once thought to have disappeared until someone ran across it growing wild. I got a few seeds from a woman in Austin. I keep checking it for seed on the spent blooms and haven't seen a single one yet. Maybe I have no pollinator? I think I will try drying it to see if it smells good dry when it needs to be cut back.
I actually like that smell. Too bad it's not native up here and probably wouldn't survive the winters anyway...

That is a creative way to insure it gets enough moisture. And you're using a byproduct of energy consumption to a good purpose!

Oracle at Delphi
jack is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alnifolia, asimina, august, blooming, boom, chionanthus, chionanthus viginicus, clethra, flowers, fragrance, fragrant, garden, late summer, native plants, pollinator activity, ruby spice, salvia penstemenoids, scent, smell, start, started, summer blooms, viginicus