Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Habitat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-01-2010, 08:44 AM   #1
WG Facebook Administrator

Default Charles Darwin's evolution experiment on Ascension Isle

BBC News - Charles Darwin's evolution experiment on Ascension isle

Wilkinson describes the vegetation of "Green Mountain" - as the highest peak is now known - as a "cloud forest". The trees capture sea mist, creating a damp oasis amid the aridity.
However, this is a forest with a difference. It is totally artificial.
Such ecosystems normally develop over million of years through a slow process of co-evolution. By contrast, the Green Mountain cloud forest was cobbled together by the Royal Navy in a matter of decades.
Old 09-01-2010, 07:03 PM   #2
Grub

An experiment done before the "Environmental Impact Statement" was invented. If there is any downside, it is not obvious to me. Migrating birds would find more food on the new & improved island, which could be crucial to their survival. I wonder what impact the greenery has on the local fish population.
erictjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 07:09 PM   #3
WG Facebook Administrator

It certainly would be interesting to know more. This is one of the few cases in which I can see the advantages of bringing in alien plants, to create vegetation where there was none before!
Old 09-01-2010, 08:32 PM   #4
Great Horned Owl

Quote:
Originally Posted by amelanchier View Post
It certainly would be interesting to know more. This is one of the few cases in which I can see the advantages of bringing in alien plants, to create vegetation where there was none before!
I guess I tend to agree, but I've lost confidence in man's manipulation of nature's natural pace. The jury is still out on this one. Perhaps the island's remoteness helps make it less dangerous as an introducer of alien species. Or, has damage already been unknowingly done by migrating animals without anyone having made the connection?

Oracle at Delphi
jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 05:18 PM   #5
Grub

Since they have bamboo growing on the island, I wonder if it would support a population of pandas?
erictjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ascension, ascension isle, charles, cloud, cloud forest, darwin, environment, evolution, evolution experiment, experiment, forest, green mountain, habitat, habitat preservation, habitat projects, isle, man made, man-made