Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Habitat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-09-2012, 11:43 AM   #61
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

I lurked a bit on this thread when it first came out...found the idea a little interesting, then never pursued it. Earlier this week, Jeff asked me if I was interested in geocaching--thanks to this discussion, I knew basically what it was. Since he seemed interested and I figured it would get him out into nature and walking, I showed a bit of interest.

We ended up driving out to Western PA this weekend to visit family. Along the way, we stopped at a rest area specifically because it had a cache stashed there. Using his smart phone, we went on our first geocaching adventure together, and Jeff found his first cache. On the way back we didn't make such great time since he wanted to stop every so often to search a new site. We went to one place on the side of the road and never found the cache. I didn't enjoy that one as we were tramping through dried (and sprouting) crown vetch (UGH!) and an otherwise unnatural area. However, at another area (a park) I was pleased to see some spring beauties, mayapples, and the leaves of fawn lily......but no cache. (We're still getting the hang of this, I guess.) The last one we stopped at was at another rest area--nice natural area, and I found *my* first cache.

So, are we so late in getting involved that the fad has fizzled out for everyone else?
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 03:35 PM   #62
Pope

We are neophytes too. We started doing it a year or so ago, found a few caches, then abandoned it as life became more complicated. I think that we might be able to take it up again soon? Free time seems to be so hard to come by!
Hedgerowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 05:52 PM   #63
Mentor

I would be cautious of geocaches located on rocky slopes. I had someone hide a geocache in a crevice used by venomous snakes. I actually found it while checking for the snakes lol
midwesternerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 06:00 PM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgerowe View Post
We are neophytes too. We started doing it a year or so ago, found a few caches, then abandoned it as life became more complicated. I think that we might be able to take it up again soon? Free time seems to be so hard to come by!
Cool. It is a cheap form of entertainment...aside from gas money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwesternerr View Post
I would be cautious of geocaches located on rocky slopes. I had someone hide a geocache in a crevice used by venomous snakes. I actually found it while checking for the snakes lol
Thanks, midwesternerr. The thought has crossed my mind...well that some critter might be in a hole--I wasn't about to reach down into something I couldn't see beyond a point--but I hadn't thought about venomous snakes in particular. Good point.

I did, however, think that a geocache could be taking up space for some critter to use. I know around our yard, I've seen nut shells underneath some rock overhangs...I'd hate to block somethings favorite hangout with a geocache.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
Old 04-11-2012, 09:05 PM   #65
WG Facilitator

When we go on a long trip, I look up 3 or 4 caches every 4 or 5 hours. We only try to find one, but I get the info on multiples, just in case the first one doesn't work out. I need to stretch after 4 or 5 hours in the car, and it's a fun break.

Those of you with smart phones can just pull up caches when you're in the mood, I suppose.
Old 04-11-2012, 09:24 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by biigblueyes View Post
When we go on a long trip, I look up 3 or 4 caches every 4 or 5 hours. We only try to find one, but I get the info on multiples, just in case the first one doesn't work out. I need to stretch after 4 or 5 hours in the car, and it's a fun break.

Those of you with smart phones can just pull up caches when you're in the mood, I suppose.
It is definitely a good idea to stretch one's legs...maybe even sooner than 4 or 5 hours. I guess a geocache is a good excuse to do it.

Well, the technology addict that he is, he now has a smart phone...so he was pulling up caches along the way while I was behind the wheel.

Tags
fun, geocache, geocaching, hiking, how to geocache, kids projects, natural areas, outdoor activities, outdoor projects, recreation, recreational, treasure hunt