Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Habitat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2010, 10:02 PM   #31
Heron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equilibrium View Post
The pallets are totally a BRILLIANT idea. I like how you buy the birds time to flee through the chain link too... that's genius. I've missed you but... now I know what you've been up to. You've been very busy... ummm photos of your pallet pile masterpieces, eh?

Quote:
That sucks. My camera crapped out on me then it started working again... yesterday it crapped out on me again but I was lucky and scored a new hand me down from my nephew who "outgrew" the camera his parents bought him last year... he outgrew a camera that was better and newer than the one I was using. I am inheriting his camera at spring break when he brings it home. Have you checked around eBay for any used cameras or maybe on Craig's List? I do know somebody who got a Nikon KoolPix from Craig's List and all they had to do was go pick it up. It was only a couple years old. That Craig's list has all kinds of strange things being given away for nothing but you have to be on your toes looking all the time. Do you have a cell phone that can take photos? Photos aren't the end of the world... there is life after no camera... hard to stomach going without a camera though... I'm learning this from going without myself and it sucks.

OK Equil ,

We found a little bit of mad money and took your advice and shopped around on Craigs list and found a camera for me and Julie will shop around a bit more for one for her . Once I figure out the buttons on this gizmo I'll be able to get some pictures on how I build one of the "pallet pile masterpieces" as you called it . I intended to build two more of them in the near future so getting the camera now was good timing . I wound up getting an Olympus Stylus 820 , anyone have any comments on this camera ?
lonediver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 01:08 PM   #32
Official Plant Nerd

I thought Craig's list was only give aways??? No experience with that camera at all but... I had a regular film camera that was an Olympus stylus maybe 10 years ago and the photos were really good from it. The one problem I had with it was the way it opened. I remember the front sliding over and then the lens came out. That got stuck on me every once in a while and I had to buy bottled air to unstick it. The camera is solid and took beatings well. I would have had it forever if it hadn't been run over. I set it on the back of the car and forgot it then drove over it. I set lots of things on the roof of the car and forget them when taking off. I would have bought another Olympus but I got a Kodak digital as a gift and then a Cannon as a gift. I think the photos from the Olympus were so good I'm sure I would have bought another one on my own. You'll be happy with it is my bet.
adding that I had the Olympus Stylus Zoom 140 non-digital and it would be 12 years if I still had it.

Last edited by Equilibrium; 01-12-2010 at 01:10 PM. Reason: adding camera
Equilibrium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 11:54 AM   #33
Heron

Quote:
I thought Craig's list was only give aways???
I think that you got Craig's list mixed up with Freecycle, Equil . In any case I got a camera that I am now trying to learn to work with .

So I will now try to aquaint you all with shipping pallets and what I am doing with them . In some of the links that I posted early in the thread where brush pile building was discussed , the desireability if a "core" is mentioned . The suggested core was usually 4 to 6 inch logs , 4 feet in length laid out with spaces in between the logs with each succeeding layer laid on top of the other in an alternating direction . As suggested this could/would involve possibly 70 to 100 logs . Others like me may find that coming up with this many logs of a desireable nature to be hard to do , so here I will attempt to show that pallets can/will make a easier substitution.

Pallets can be found everywhere from warehouse type stores , the back of supermarkets , auto parts stores . Most anywhere bulk deliveries are made . I had some 3 to 4 dozen of them given to me by a local farm/ranch. As you can see thier size and condition can vary .
Attached Thumbnails
More on brush piles .-dougs-pictures-1-10-2010-new-camera-047.jpg   More on brush piles .-dougs-pictures-1-10-2010-new-camera-048.jpg   More on brush piles .-dougs-pictures-1-10-2010-new-camera-061.jpg   More on brush piles .-dougs-pictures-1-10-2010-new-camera-050.jpg  
Old 01-21-2010, 12:16 PM   #34
Heron

Pic#1 is the next stack of pallets that I have put together to work with . They are pretty much of an average size for shipping pallets . Some 48 inches by 40 inches . Also what should be capable of being seen is that there is usuall 3 1/2 inches between the top and bottom planks of each pallet . Reasonably close to desired spacing suggested in the log core stacks. Some of the pallets construction runs in alternate directions which also can be seen , various cutouts,etc make for lots of possible passages . Five pallets stacked on top of one another makes a stack 25 inches tall , a lot easier and more stable than stacking logs .

Over the next few days I will move this stack from my workyad out to where I want a new brushpile . Follow along if you wish .
Attached Thumbnails
More on brush piles .-dougs-pictures-1-10-2010-new-camera-052.jpg   More on brush piles .-dougs-pictures-1-10-2010-new-camera-051.jpg   More on brush piles .-dougs-pictures-1-10-2010-new-camera-053.jpg   More on brush piles .-dougs-pictures-1-10-2010-new-camera-054.jpg   More on brush piles .-dougs-pictures-1-10-2010-new-camera-059.jpg  

Old 01-21-2010, 12:51 PM   #35
Pope

You have captured my interest. I will check back to see what they look like and how they come out. It is a great, creative idea.
Hedgerowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 02:11 PM   #36
A Bee's Best Friend

Follow we will. I just love your habitat building projects.
Gloria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 05:00 PM   #37
Heron

Glad to see that there seem to be some interested in this method .

Well Hi - ho , hi- ho it's off to work we go .........

Pic #1 . Loading, moving the pallets around is not very diffucult , a lot easier than managing a pile of logs I have to believe.

#2 . Off the cart and stacked on to the ground , the base of the core is now assembled . Assembly time less than 5 minutes .

#3 . Dig a 8 to 12 inch deep trench around on all 4 sides .

#4 . Roll out your 48 inch wide chain link fabric and go over the long/wide side of the stack of pallets draping the end of the fabric into the trench .

#5. I am using metal 15 inch hooked tent stakes to hold the fabric down driving the stakes through the fabric so the hook will catch on the fabric holding it to the bottom of the trench .
Attached Thumbnails
More on brush piles .-p1210077.jpg   More on brush piles .-p1210080.jpg   More on brush piles .-p1210082.jpg   More on brush piles .-p1210084.jpg   More on brush piles .-p1210086.jpg  

Old 01-21-2010, 05:25 PM   #38
Heron

In pic #1 here trying to show a little more detail on the tent stakes . Comparively sturdy I got these from the Walmart sporting goods department . They came in packackes of 5 to 6 I think , they cost 50 cents or less apiece . Strecthing the fabric across the top sides of the stack is desired so as to provide the maximum opening to the ground birds that I have targeted for this structure . As I mentioned before earlier in this thread , I had read where some people had done away with thier brush piles when various undesireable creatures had moved into thiers .

Adding the chain link fabric is an idea I came up with so as to limit the size of the creatures that can/could inhabit the core . So the fabric becomes a filter/strainer of sorts . Also adding a further layer of protection to those who will inhabit here .

In pic #2 the fabric is cut/unraveled to within 6 to 8 inches on the opposite side so that when the stakes are driven into the bottom of the trench on this side it will streeeech the fabric up the first side , across the top and down the second side .

#3 . Two sides and the top are done .

#4 . For those unfamilar , chain link fabric can be woven/unwoven very easily . ( more on this later once my batteries charge up more again)
Attached Thumbnails
More on brush piles .-p1210087.jpg   More on brush piles .-p1210089.jpg   More on brush piles .-p1210091.jpg   More on brush piles .-p1210092.jpg  
Old 01-25-2010, 10:46 PM   #39
Heron

Ok , picking up where I left off . Chain link fabric can be shortened or lengthened rather easily . By unbending or cutting the ends of individual strands (pic #1) , a strand can be removed to shorten a piece or splice together two pieces to lengthen it . ( pics #2 and 3 )
Attached Thumbnails
More on brush piles .-p1240093.jpg   More on brush piles .-p1240094.jpg   More on brush piles .-p1210092.jpg  
Old 01-25-2010, 11:00 PM   #40
Heron

As said before the pallets measure 48" x 40" . The long piece of fabric was run over the top of the long side , the fabric was also 48" wide so this covered those sides and the top to the edges/corners . (pic #1) This only left the two short sides , Making two pieces of 40" + long pieces of chain link fabric and centering it on the narrow sides leaves some 3 to 4 inch overhang , plenty enough to bend/wrap around the corners . When centering these pieces extend them far enough on the top so when they drape down the sides there is a few inches gap from where the bottom of the fabric hangs so that once the top edge of these pieces are wire tied to the top . The side panels can be streched with stakes to the bottom of the trench .
Attached Thumbnails
More on brush piles .-p1210091.jpg   More on brush piles .-p1240096.jpg   More on brush piles .-p1240097.jpg   More on brush piles .-p1240098.jpg   More on brush piles .-p1240095.jpg  

Tags
bird, birds, brush, brush pile photos, brush piles, brushpile, build a brush pile, building a brush pile, chain link, chain link fabric, chain link in a brush pile, desert, desert habitat, ground birds, habitat, habitat for birds, habitat for ground birds, how to, owl, owls, pallets, photos, pictures, piles, stack of pallets