Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Habitat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2010, 11:40 AM   #21
Official Plant Nerd

That sucks. My camera crapped out on me then it started working again... yesterday it crapped out on me again but I was lucky and scored a new hand me down from my nephew who "outgrew" the camera his parents bought him last year... he outgrew a camera that was better and newer than the one I was using. I am inheriting his camera at spring break when he brings it home. Have you checked around eBay for any used cameras or maybe on Craig's List? I do know somebody who got a Nikon KoolPix from Craig's List and all they had to do was go pick it up. It was only a couple years old. That Craig's list has all kinds of strange things being given away for nothing but you have to be on your toes looking all the time. Do you have a cell phone that can take photos? Photos aren't the end of the world... there is life after no camera... hard to stomach going without a camera though... I'm learning this from going without myself and it sucks.
Old 01-04-2010, 11:49 AM   #22
Heron

I just got a new phone and it does have a camera , however it will be necessary for me to learn to use it. Now I am far more comfortable with hammers and saws , loaders, bulldozers and instruments of destruction in my hands than I am with electronic gadgets and doo-hickeys . My fine motor skills were impeded in that accident some years ago I told you about and my large fingers are oversized for tiny push buttons .

Solution ; when the h_ _ _ are you going to come out and visit so you can see or I can show you first hand .
lonediver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 12:37 PM   #23
Official Plant Nerd

There you go... problem solved. Have fun learning how to use it. I'm no good with electronic gadgets... hammers... or saws. I am good with my weed wrench and so so with my chain saw. I have some good news and I have some bad news... bad news is we're going someplace warm in about 8 days and again the beginning of April. Bad news is it isn't Arizona either time this year but... good news is we are going back to the Sonoran Desert... April 22nd of 2011 so you mark your calendar. The desert in March and early April was a little bit much but by the end of April it gets toastier. Get ready... we'll touch ground in AZ soon and we'll have 14 days to explore. We still have one left in HS this year and next so we have to run with the HS calendar for vacations until it flies the coop and goes to college. "IT" wanted to go to Italy this spring break to see "wildlife" if you know what I mean. Boy is he in for a big disappointment... we tried to tell him the wildlife would be better in Maine this June but... he's not taking our word for it.
Old 01-04-2010, 11:11 PM   #24
Heron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equilibrium View Post
We still have one left in HS this year and next so we have to run with the HS calendar for vacations until it flies the coop and goes to college. "IT" wanted to go to Italy this spring break to see "wildlife" if you know what I mean. Boy is he in for a big disappointment... we tried to tell him the wildlife would be better in Maine this June but... he's not taking our word for it.

Well maybe by the time you get here, you can tell him that I have a vixen that I can hook him up with .
Old 01-05-2010, 01:21 AM   #25
Official Plant Nerd

It's all planned... hit the beaches on Fri and Sat. It hasn't hit him the bodies his age will be in school when we're there and they go 6 days a week not 5 like our kids. He'll be desensitized and ready for something more culturally stimulating after... 3 hours tops. Burrowing owls and foxes will be more interesting to him after he gets back from this trip.
Old 01-05-2010, 01:50 AM   #26
Heron

Quote:
It's all planned... hit the beaches on Fri and Sat. It hasn't hit him the bodies his age will be in school when we're there and they go 6 days a week not 5 like our kids. He'll be desensitized and ready for something more culturally stimulating after... 3 hours tops. Burrowing owls and foxes will be more interesting to him after he gets back from this trip.
Poor kid , well when you do get out here I am scheduling part of your itenerary . A day here at my place then I will ride along with you as your guide on a second day( you'll be buying my lunch, are'nt you delighted at the prospect of so much of my company ? ) on a tour to Verde Valley and take in the mecca of Tavasi marsh and then maybe following that up with a sidebar trip to the Verde hot springs ( that's where the nudies used to hang out). The Verde hot springs are natural upwellings of geo thermally heated both adjacent to on the banks of the river and in the rivers stream bed . When the river is flowing sufficently , one can stand in a cold spring melt river current passing around ones body and simultaneously have a hot jacuzzi jet of water blowing up toward ones _ _ _ _ _ ( you fill in the space ) Care to how to ask me how I came to know this ?
Old 01-05-2010, 02:05 AM   #27
Official Plant Nerd

Because you're a diver... that's how you know. Tavasi Marsh is a must. Why don't you take my husband and my kid diving somewhere for a half a day. Keep them safe for me ok... kid's a good swimmer but no diving experience worth mentioning. Plan what you want... you know that area and you know where we've been already. Lunch will be on me... so will dinner. Tell me... were you able to convince your better half into letting you have a bat house or did I blow it for you when I talked to her last time? She didn't seem all that thrilled about you wanting bats.
Old 01-05-2010, 02:30 AM   #28
Heron

Quote:
Because you're a diver... that's how you know. Tavasi Marsh is a must. Why don't you take my husband and my kid diving somewhere for a half a day. Keep them safe for me ok... kid's a good swimmer but no diving experience worth mentioning. Plan what you want... you know that area and you know where we've been already. Lunch will be on me... so will dinner. Tell me... were you able to convince your better half into letting you have a bat house or did I blow it for you when I talked to her last time? She didn't seem all that thrilled about you wanting bats.
I'll work on the diving idea . No , the other half still does not relish the idea of the "BAT CAVE ", intellectually she acedes to all the points of the desirability as to hosting bats here but she stamps her feet and says but I simply don't like them .

Hows this for an idea , I ship her off to you for a 2 week vacation and I will turn my dream into reality . Maybe she will not notice the "bat cave" and the new mountain range in the yard .
Old 01-06-2010, 01:33 AM   #29
Official Plant Nerd

I liiiiiiiiiike your wife. I'll gladly take her... send your credit card with her,
Old 01-07-2010, 11:55 AM   #30
Unicellular Fungi

(giggle) That would be one very effective way to slip a bat cave under her radar although I shudder to be on the receiving end of the credit card statement.

Your southwestern habitat creation should be an inspiration to all of us.

Tags
bird, birds, brush, brush pile photos, brush piles, brushpile, build a brush pile, building a brush pile, chain link, chain link fabric, chain link in a brush pile, desert, desert habitat, ground birds, habitat, habitat for birds, habitat for ground birds, how to, owl, owls, pallets, photos, pictures, piles, stack of pallets