Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Habitat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2009, 07:46 PM   #11
Heron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porthand View Post
Switching from terrestial habitats to marine . . Yesterday I was on an artificial reef in Puget Sound observing (not too close as they are VERY protective even small mommas) ling cod on their eggs. Underwater brush piles are a good thing as well.
What are they using for artifical habitat there Porthand . I have done volunteer work here with the forest service , BLM , and Arizona Game and Fish with construction and maintenence of artifical structure here in a lot of our lakes .

Here they have tried tire piles , trees cut down from orchards , Xmas trees , some wild large PVC pipe structures with netting over the frames . Some pipe structure that had like fake bananna leaves that were buoyed upright with urethane balls all kinds of crazy stuff .
lonediver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 09:21 AM   #12
Unicellular Fungi

Quote:
Yesterday I was on an artificial reef in Puget Sound observing
Have you any photos of the underwater brush piles?
Old 02-16-2009, 09:46 AM   #13
Heron

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLorax View Post
Have you any photos of the underwater brush piles?
I was looking for some and only found very little , I was not very prone to taking pics in those days myself sadly . But I did find some sketches and a few pics . I can fill in details verbally . Go to my thread on fish habitat .
Old 02-16-2009, 10:05 AM   #14
Unicellular Fungi

It was Porthand who was on the artificial reef in Puget Sound yesterday. I'm hoping she has some photos of what she saw. Photos of artificial reefs from you would be nice too the next time you visit one.
Old 02-16-2009, 10:09 AM   #15
Heron

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLorax View Post
It was Porthand who was on the artificial reef in Puget Sound yesterday. I'm hoping she has some photos of what she saw. Photos of artificial reefs from you would be nice too the next time you visit one.
I will see what I can do to find some more , I was limiting my search yesterday to Arizona but I will broaden it to worldwide . However it will be posted under the fish habitat thread .
Old 02-16-2009, 10:31 PM   #16
Unicellular Fungi

One of the older sites in Puget Sound is Edmonds Underwater Park. Yes, a 35 acre marine preserve park for divers. Structures include a dry dock, wooden tug, barge, varoius types of pre-cast concrete and several fiberglass hull boats. WDFW has discouraged tire reefs as several older ones have broken apart with age and presented issues to boaters. Most of our images are on teh DW's puter will post some soon.
Porthand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 10:41 PM   #17
Heron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porthand View Post
One of the older sites in Puget Sound is Edmonds Underwater Park. Yes, a 35 acre marine preserve park for divers. Structures include a dry dock, wooden tug, barge, varoius types of pre-cast concrete and several fiberglass hull boats. WDFW has discouraged tire reefs as several older ones have broken apart with age and presented issues to boaters. Most of our images are on teh DW's puter will post some soon.
You should like the thread on fish habitat Porthand at :

Fish habitat
Old 01-03-2010, 11:04 PM   #18
Heron

A few months ago I got busy building some new brush piles and experimented with some design wrinkles (variations) that could be of interest to some here . In some of my earlier homework it seemed common in northern areas to to build your base of logs stacked in alternating directionswith each layer of logs added , logs suggested being in 4 to 6 inch diameter range . a 4 foot length was commonly suggested . Well here in the desert logs such as that are not a common commodity . I had found a few sites where shipping type pallets were suggested as a good alternative . These commonly are about 48' in length by about 36' wide , 6' in heighth with a 4'' gap between the upper and lower boards that make up the pallets . I found a site not far from me that had a large quanity ( some 3 dozen or so) of older decrepit pallets that the owner was glad to part with for nothing but my labor to haul them away . Arriving home with them I stacked them into groups of 5 similarly sized as best as possible .

There is some small variation in thier sizing so when able if you were to contemplate this I would suggest that you do the same . This being done I carted these piles of 5 pallets each to different locations on my property and stack on a small open spot . Then digging a small trench some 8 to 10" deep around all four sides of the stack of pallets . I had also obtained some 48" high/wide chain link fencing . Now the purpose of the chain link fencing is to act as a filter of sorts . to exclude any undesireables from penetrating depply into the brush piles giving the ground birds and such respite from skunks, cats and so on . I have observed quail and such passing through chain link fence when it is upright so it should not be a hinderance in this application . So facing the pile of pallets on one of its long sides , one can take the chain link fencing fabric placing toward the bottom of the trench on that side . Anchoring it into place on the bottom of the trench with some 12" inch hook type tent stakes then rolling the fencing fabric up that side , across the top of the pallet stack and down the other side . Chain link fabric is not hard to adjust to desired length , by cutting one of its wires and then unraveling it . then anchor with tent stakes on the opposite side resulting in the fabric being strecthed sufficently so as to allow birds to pass through but excluding larger creatures .

Having finished that repeat this process on the pallets stack narrow side , centering the 48" wide fabric on the center of the pallet stack will leave a 4 to 6" overhang on eirther side which then be nipped and folded around the corners making a near impenterable fortress . With the fabric staked down and streched tucked and tied down around the corners the backfill your trenches .

The above being done the liberally lay on piles of branch/brush material over a core that should last years . Mine have been up for several months and its residents seem quite pleased . Thus far I have completed 4 of these structures with one more to do .
Old 01-04-2010, 11:23 AM   #19
Official Plant Nerd

The pallets are totally a BRILLIANT idea. I like how you buy the birds time to flee through the chain link too... that's genius. I've missed you but... now I know what you've been up to. You've been very busy... ummm photos of your pallet pile masterpieces, eh?
Old 01-04-2010, 11:28 AM   #20
Heron

My camera died , care to donate one to the cause ?

Tags
bird, birds, brush, brush pile photos, brush piles, brushpile, build a brush pile, building a brush pile, chain link, chain link fabric, chain link in a brush pile, desert, desert habitat, ground birds, habitat, habitat for birds, habitat for ground birds, how to, owl, owls, pallets, photos, pictures, piles, stack of pallets