Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Habitat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-2010, 09:21 PM   #1
Heron

Default The death of a nest ! - help

I am so furious right now that I can barely speak/type ! At the thread building owl habitat I spoke of a construction well drilling company drilling a well for my area . A project that I TRULY WISH TO GO THROUGH ! It will help my living circumstances here greatly . There are burrowing owl nests on the lot where they were drilling . I spoke of this at the other thread . I thought that a settlement/arrangement had been reached .

Building burrowing owl habitat .

(last page, starting at post 64)

WRONG !

The #$%&&^#@ apparently do not recognize property lines . They went some 200 feet on to the ADJACENT 4 acres late this afternoon/evening and took out a burrowing owl nest on the next lot .

More to follow in the next post .
lonediver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 09:26 PM   #2
WG Staff

Report the activity to the authorities.
Old 02-22-2010, 09:29 PM   #3
POM Judge & Official Non Gardener

Oh, crap! So sorry about this lousy news.

We're leaving Fort Myers next Monday so we're going back to see the Burrowing Owls in Cape Coral this week. They should be starting to nest about now. So wish I could be here to see the babies come out of the burrows again.
Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 09:39 PM   #4
Heron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staff View Post
Report the activity to the authorities.
HAVE AND AM DOING SO ! I spoke with the project engineer a one ;

William E. Collings (who works for)

D.N.A. Inc.

314 East 8th Street

Casa Grande , Arizona, 85122

(anyone who wants it , PM me I will gladly give you this poor excuse of an uneducated *&%%& "s phone number !)

-------------------------------------------------------------------

This project is being done by ;

W D C Exploration & Wells

!200 West San Pedro

Gilbert , Arizona, 85233

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Fiananced by YOUR tax dollars , via a grant through ;

United States Department of Agriculture (U. S. D. A. )

Rural Development .

-----------------------------------------------------------------

More to follow about my/the encounter this afternoon/evening
Old 02-22-2010, 09:49 PM   #5
Mentor

That's really frustrating to hear. People need to pay careful attention to details in any business. Lone Diver, I think you should contact the nearest audubon society too. They would likely help you protest this behavior.
midwesternerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 08:23 AM   #6
Heron

Wish me luck with my ranting today folks . I've gotten but an hour and a half of sleep tonight but I AM prepared to do battle !

Pahinh Winh , What was the Sioux war cry ? I remember only the white man's loose translation . "This is a good day to die !" . That/this nest I hope will not hopefully have died in vain .

Yesterday/last night I had talked to ;

The construction crew

The wife

The despicable project engineer

Wild At Heart (Bob Fox) who called ;

U.S. Fish and Wildlife

Bob Fox also called the water district who the well is being built for

(I called also a contact with the national forest who suggested that I contact the Arizona Game and Fish )

----------------------------------------------------------

So todays chores ;

Build a small tombstone reading RIP and erect it close to where the nest was .

Likely Bob Fox and Fish and Wildlife are showing up here

Contact Arizona G & F

Contact local Audubon as suggested above

Several local newspapers and see if I can get some newspaper reporter out here . (Maybe take a picture of tombstone with RIP , should make a nice touch , don't ya think . If you want to play , PLAY NASTY !)

----------------------------------------------------------

Any more bright ideas ?
Old 02-23-2010, 11:04 AM   #7
Heron

Nice touch , no ? yes ?

Made two of them in case some unethical person(s) tears one down .

Have to give the wife credit for the art work . Gotten a few phone calls out already to enforcement , waiting for response . Newspapers next .

Charge !
Attached Thumbnails
The death of a nest ! - help-p2230070.jpg  
Old 02-23-2010, 11:28 AM   #8
Fox

Are there any actual burrowing owl groups out there? Maybe contact New Mexico Burrowing Owl Working Group and admin@nmburrowingowl.com (in New Mexico) for advice.

If they will be doing any more digging, could you clearly mark the boundary areas with something high-visibility... tape, streamers, flags? Waving people? Something that can easily be seen from the cab of a truck.

And please accept my sympathies, this is heartbreaking.
Calliandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 12:52 PM   #9
Heron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calliandra View Post
Are there any actual burrowing owl groups out there? Maybe contact New Mexico Burrowing Owl Working Group and admin@nmburrowingowl.com (in New Mexico) for advice.

If they will be doing any more digging, could you clearly mark the boundary areas with something high-visibility... tape, streamers, flags? Waving people? Something that can easily be seen from the cab of a truck.

And please accept my sympathies, this is heartbreaking.
Calliandra ,

No burrowing owl group that I am aware of , may attempt locating that group you mentioned .

So far done this morning .

Checked the affected area first thing this morning , no further transgression .

Called Bob Fox ie; Wild At Heart ( burrowing owl/raptor bird recue group , licensed rehabilator/trapper/relocator . His hands remain a little tied .

Called U.S. Fish & Wildlife , Tucson office - left a message , have yet to hear back .

Called Arizona Game and Fish main branch , referred to enforcement officer at thier Mesa , Arizona office . Left a message , have yet to hear back .

Made tombstone , wife painted it , have yet to erect it yet .

Called the state office of the Audubon Society , was told that thier hands were tied . They said that this issue was best brought up by a citizen (guess who is elected) They said that they would try to get a sympathetic reporter from the Phoenix big paper . Have yet to hear back .

Called the Casa Grande Dispatch , a local paper , also owns, publishes the Maricopa Monitor . Spoke with the editor who listened to my story , he said he felt there was a story , said he would get someone on it and likely come out to take pic of tombstone (I thought that might work !) Waiting to have the action taken .

Nothing great , just twidlin' my thumbs as usual . Playing the waiting game .

Having dreams of The Monkey Wrench Gang .

P.S.

I will possibly show some pics later at thier sorry excuse at "barriers".
Old 02-23-2010, 01:57 PM   #10
Heron

The wheels of bureaucracy sometimes move slowly , sometimes the squeeky wheel gets the grease .

U.S. Fish and Wildlife called back , an enforcement officer listened to me and heard what I have told here and some of which I have yet to tell here .

Just maybe could you believe lonediver attempted to stop that backhoe yesterday evening and almost got run over . I was definitely ignored .

In any case the enforcement officer will BE HERE tomorrow afternoon from Tucson .

It's a great life so long as you do not weaken .

Tags
activism, burrow, burrowing habitat, burrowing owl habitat, burrowing owls, burrows, death, endangered birds, endangered habitat, nest, owls, protect birds, protect wildlife, protecting