Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Habitat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2010, 02:11 PM   #11
Fox

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonediver View Post
Just maybe could you believe lonediver attempted to stop that backhoe yesterday evening and almost got run over . I was definitely ignored .
Too bad you don't have video of it.

Just the presence of a camera will often remind everyone to mind their manners. Companies know that videos sway public opinion, and there's always the risk that one could go viral. Plus, on an individual level, no one wants to look like a jerk.

Come to think of it, why not create a video now? A post-mortem. Do a little background on the owls, show whatever documentation you have (papers, "before" photos), then show footage of some moving trucks, followed by the ruined nest, and your RIP sign. Interviews with whoever is willing to go on camera.

Could be powerful and might help save the next nest.
Calliandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 02:21 PM   #12
Fox

If you do post a video to Youtube, be sure to mention the book _Hoot_ by Carl Hiaasen in your tags or description.

_Hoot_ is a popular children's fiction book about kids who tried to save burrowing owl nests in Florida. It was made into a movie a few years ago.
Amazon.com: Hoot (9780440421702): Carl Hiaasen: Books

YouTube - Hoot Movie Trailer

Last edited by Cirsium; 07-31-2010 at 08:06 PM. Reason: Repaired link
Old 02-23-2010, 02:38 PM   #13
Heron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calliandra View Post
Too bad you don't have video of it.

Just the presence of a camera will often remind everyone to mind their manners. Companies know that videos sway public opinion, and there's always the risk that one could go viral. Plus, on an individual level, no one wants to look like a jerk.

Come to think of it, why not create a video now? A post-mortem. Do a little background on the owls, show whatever documentation you have (papers, "before" photos), then show footage of some moving trucks, followed by the ruined nest, and your RIP sign. Interviews with whoever is willing to go on camera.

Could be powerful and might help save the next nest.
Calliandra , if you were here , I would kiss you woman . That is one of the better suggestions that I have heard from here yet . Slight scramble here to see what we have at our disposal to pull this off . Will a phone video camera work ? How much time does one of those doo-hickeys record . Dunno , never tried this .

Calliandra , you are hereby drafted , something you can do long distance . An assignment apropriate for a librarian .

Research youtube as to where such a video would be located and suggestions as to how to post it .

Second , we are announcing a VERY short contest as to a name that will draw a viewer to watch such a thing .

I think I can handle the dialog though the wife cautions my emphasis and language at times need moderation (sorry Hazelnut , old habits die hard) , shall attempt to tone myself down a bit .

Can you do steps one and two Calliandra ?
lonediver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 02:59 PM   #14
Fox

Hmmm. Time is a problem, as always. I can ask my son to help though, he might have some time this week.

No camcorder is a problem though. Can you borrow one? Or even a camera with video might work if you use a tripod.

have to run to an appt, will check back later today.

.... and, I hate to mention this... but it's lucky I'm not there for that kiss, or you'd end up with a sore jaw. So sorry.
Old 02-23-2010, 03:21 PM   #15
Mentor

Lone Diver, clearly you are a man of action! I think it's great that you've taken this issue up full steam a head. In the US, it's the squeaky wheel gets the grease. I would think a newspaper article on the incident would likely change the tune of project manager.

There are video feeds that activate based on motion and heat for deer, that would be an option to video an area when not present. They are not expensive. Additionally, you can get a little hand held digital camera for like 100$ at places like Target or Walmart. They actually take a pretty clear video feed accept they don't handle camera shake very well, but they are plenty good for recording human activity even when hand held. I have one.
midwesternerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 04:48 PM   #16
Heron

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwesternerr View Post
Lone Diver, clearly you are a man of action! I think it's great that you've taken this issue up full steam a head. In the US, it's the squeaky wheel gets the grease. I would think a newspaper article on the incident would likely change the tune of project manager..
I would like to think that I largely follow through, that's what my pappy taught me to do . As Sage said , the owls themslves cannot call so someone should . What I am learning from this , is that laws that we hear in name sound good but in practicality DO NOT cut it . The burrowing owls while not yet on the endangered list but are being considered . Another law , the Migratory Bird Treaty Act of 1918

Migratory Bird Treaty Act of 1918 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Migratory Bird Treaty Act of 1918

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jump to: navigation, search
Under United States Code Title 16, Chapter 7, Subchapter II, the Migratory Bird Treaty Act of 1918 is the United States legislation implementing the convention between the U.S. and Great Britain (for Canada). It replaced the Weeks-McLean Act, which had become effective in 1913. The United States subsequently entered into similar agreements with four other nations (Canada, Mexico, Japan and Russia) to protect migratory birds. The statute makes it unlawful to pursue, hunt, take, capture, kill or sell birds listed therein ("migratory birds"). The statute does not discriminate between live or dead birds and also grants full protection to any bird parts including feathers, eggs and nests. Over 800 species are currently on the list.
The statute is broken down into ten sections, 703 through 712 (16 USC 703 through 712). Note that 709 is omitted, but 709a Authorization of appropriations is included and active, making eleven listed sections (including 709 Omitted).

------------------------------------------------------------------

One hears the name(s) of laws and one assumes that there is protection . In practicality when I was calling Fish and Wildlife last week . Only really offers protection AFTER the bird is killed, sold or as above . Just something that can be reasonably anticipated does not seem to be enough .

Is there something wrong with this picture or is it just me ?

Just a little while ago I got off the phone with a reporter from the Casa Grande Dispatch/Maricopa Monitor . The/a interview was conducted over the phone where I yet again supplied my side of the story . (lost count of how many times it has been. Spent the large part of two days on it last week only to start it over again this week , one day so far and counting , never going to get some of the habitat built) Supplied the reporter with all she asked , she may come out tomorrow maybe not . She has an interest in what Fish and wildlife will do . She will call William E. Collings and get some other information I pointed her to . She is going to send a photographer tomorrow . So we will see how this all shakes out .

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwesternerr View Post
There are video feeds that activate based on motion and heat for deer, that would be an option to video an area when not present. They are not expensive. Additionally, you can get a little hand held digital camera for like 100$ at places like Target or Walmart. They actually take a pretty clear video feed accept they don't handle camera shake very well, but they are plenty good for recording human activity even when hand held. I have one.
Money is tight here , too many things purchased here recently and other needs such as more dog traps to protect my owls here (and elsewhere the dogs are as prone to dig at a natural nest as they did to mine) We will find a camera to borrow or try the phone video thing, something , the wife is trying to find out just what her phone is capable of .

Who's coming up with a name for this show ? Somebody start a contest ;

Name this video (and it's got to fit the title space at youtube)

Midwesternerr , are you taking charge of that ?

I got my hands full here .
Old 02-23-2010, 04:54 PM   #17
Heron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calliandra View Post

.... and, I hate to mention this... but it's lucky I'm not there for that kiss, or you'd end up with a sore jaw. So sorry.
It would have been worth it , you came up with what may have been one of the better ideas of the day , you smartie you. See if we can make it work .
Old 02-23-2010, 07:51 PM   #18
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

How's this... Not a contest but it should get you the results you need.

Help preserve burrowing owl habitat!

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 08:20 PM   #19
Carbon

Hi,
This is PassKeyFilms, Calliandra's son. My mother asked me to log on and see if I could help. What do you need to have done?
PassKeyFilms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 08:42 PM   #20
Heron

Hi PassKeyFilms,

I am lonediver's wife. He asked me to get some help on my camera. I have the Olympas Stylus 1010. It does take videos and records voice. Today was the first time that I used the video feature. There was a lot of wind sound along with my talking and the birds singing.

Do you know how to wipe out or not have sound at all, and then put in sound for use on u tube? I did find one place I can have no sound while filming, but when I want to edit it?

Also, I did not have much luck with editing. I do know how to use that feature with still pictures. Any suggestions?

Tag-A-Long (only in this!)

Tags
activism, burrow, burrowing habitat, burrowing owl habitat, burrowing owls, burrows, death, endangered birds, endangered habitat, nest, owls, protect birds, protect wildlife, protecting