Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Habitat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2009, 05:15 PM   #1
Grub

Default Snag planter

For those that cut their dead or damaged trees down, it is always a good idea to leave some of the tree above ground as it provides critical habitat for several species. I usually leave mine about 6 feet tall and hang a bird house on it to dress it up a bit. I recently saw a posting elsewhere that I thought was creative. This person talked about hollowing out the top of the tree (maybe 12" deep or a little less) and adding some dirt/soil and maybe some mulch, and then planting flowers or other plants inside it. The picture they provided showed the tree cut down to about two feet above the ground. You could make the tree the focal point and build a flower bed around it with a really pretty birdhouse on it (this is how I keep a snag in my front yard without attracting frowns from my neighbors). I can visualize a fern hanging down around it. I will have to try it this year and see how it works. I suppose another alternative if the tree is a big enough diameter would be to just place a pot right in the hole.
PineStraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 05:28 PM   #2
Unicellular Fungi

Quote:
This person talked about hollowing out the top of the tree (maybe 12" deep or a little less) and adding some dirt/soil and maybe some mulch, and then planting flowers or other plants inside it. The picture they provided showed the tree cut down to about two feet above the ground.
I've not seen this ever done before. It sounds ingenious. Too bad we don't have any photos. Great idea.

Are you able to show your front yard with your birdhouse snag?

I'll show you a photo of my snag if you show me yours
Old 01-07-2009, 06:16 PM   #3
Grub

Default My snag

Here is a photo of one of mine in the front yard. I have raised several generations of bluebirds in that house since I put it up. The tree was a beautiful dogwood that the drought got. I was in a head-on collision several years ago and lost most of the yard and that tree while we were in a drought and was I was unable to care for my yard while I was in several hospitals, rehab, etc.
Attached Thumbnails
Snag planter-snag2.jpg  
Old 01-07-2009, 06:52 PM   #4
Unicellular Fungi

One question for you, how do you keep the snakes and raccoons from stealing the eggs?

It's too dark for me to take a photo of the one snag I wanted to show you but it's a whole tree. There's another one out there I should take a photo of that was struck by lightening and it's a critter magnet. We have yet another one that we were thinking of mounting an ornamental martin house on and I think I'll do that now.
Old 01-07-2009, 08:04 PM   #5
Grub

I leave nature somewhat alone and at this point, the snakes and raccoons don't seem to bother it. I think I live far enough in town that unfortunately there aren't many snakes or raccoons left. I did have a deer run through my yard a few months ago, so all isn't lost. I suspect it was running from the road machinery and land clearing that seems to be ever present. I left one whole tree up recently but it was at risk of crushing an outbuilding as well as my travel trailer, so it had to be cut down. I suspect it would have come down during Hurricane Ike and done substantial damage, so I am glad I cut the top out.
Old 01-07-2009, 10:13 PM   #6
Mentor

Heck in town I wonder how people keep the sparrows out In my little brushy area there are tons of them. Unlike cats and starlings, they are not easy to get rid of either because there are so many of them.
midwesternerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 11:17 PM   #7
Grub

We definitely have cats, but not many sparrows. Lots of mockingbirds and blue jays that keep the squirrels behaving correctly.
Old 01-08-2009, 08:37 AM   #8
Official Plant Nerd

Don't you have animal control to deal with the stray cats so they don't interfere, as in kill, the wildlife you're encouraging to visit your home?

Sparrows can be dealt with on your own.
Old 01-08-2009, 08:54 AM   #9
Heron

What does animal control do for you in your area Equil ? The most cooperation I get is the occassional loan of a trap . Other than that I am on my own , here thet will pick up what I catch but it is illegal for me to kill anything by any means which only leaves me with trapping .
lonediver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 08:59 AM   #10
Official Plant Nerd

They give us the traps for free on loan and they come and pick up the cat and destroy it. It's that simple. The ones that are dump offs or former strays aren't euthanized. Those go to a shelter after the owner is given 10 days to pick up their animal.

Other areas don't provide traps but they'll come out and destroy the ferals. Those people have to buy their own traps or have some sort of a license to destroy nuisance species. Don't know the details but people do it.

Tags
planter, snag