Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Habitat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2009, 01:19 AM   #1
Heron

Default Dead wood plantings .

In the north American Wildlife forum Thelorax started a thread on habitat brush piles which I do here . Something else that I do is what I call dead wood plantings . I have transplanted a number of dead trees and saguaro skeletons for different wildlife gardening purposes .

Let me start with this one which was/is to be my raptor "bird perch ". This project was started on October 16, 2008 . This is an ancient Ironwood tree which I got permission to remove . It stands nearly 25 feet tall and I desire to move it in one piece without the use of any heavy equipment other than a chain saw , trailer , shovels , chains and come-a-longs . My friend Josue standing by it as we start in the first pic . Second pic we have started digging , 3rd , 4th and 5th pic look at the roots we have exposed . I had wanted to retain some of the roots for when it was to be replanted to provide for better anchoring .

I am sure some are asking why go after a dead tree . My observation of raptor birds is usually they seek out high stark perches to give themselves a good vantage point to shop for thier meals . One I saw in a tree recently , part of the upper branches were live and leafy , part of it dead . The hawk chose to sit in the dead portion . A little reasoning to this I would think likely is that if it had chosen to sit in the live side , the leaves would have obstructed its vision . So I wanted a natural looking tall bird perch to at least occassionally attract raptors to my property . As you can see , the project was undertaken .
Attached Thumbnails
Dead wood plantings .-dcp_4902.jpg   Dead wood plantings .-dcp_4905.jpg   Dead wood plantings .-dcp_4909.jpg   Dead wood plantings .-dcp_4908.jpg   Dead wood plantings .-dcp_4907.jpg  

lonediver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 01:29 AM   #2
Heron

We had started this back on October 16th . Did not get back to it until December 1st . It is now on the trailer as you can see . Do you believe it . That is one large chunk of wood . Likely weighing somewhere between 3 to 4,000 pounds . A VERY HEAVY dense wood , for you easteners think oak . It has not been easy so far and we are not done yet .

What came down is now about to go back up .
Attached Thumbnails
Dead wood plantings .-dcp_5029.jpg   Dead wood plantings .-dcp_5030.jpg   Dead wood plantings .-dcp_5033.jpg   Dead wood plantings .-dcp_5032.jpg   Dead wood plantings .-dcp_5031.jpg  

Old 01-06-2009, 01:41 AM   #3
Unicellular Fungi

That's a treasure you've got there! Way to go lonediver! It's quite impressive. What species will be attracted to it?

Only at a site like this will people truly appreciate what you are doing.
Old 01-06-2009, 01:56 AM   #4
Heron

Having gotten it home I could not wait to get it up . This is the morning of December 2nd . Sizeable hole is dug down to about a 5 foot depth , sloping down to the bottom on two sides . Theory being that as we drag it into the hole the heavy roots/base will partially cantilever the tree up .

The wrestling match commences !
Attached Thumbnails
Dead wood plantings .-dcp_5041.jpg   Dead wood plantings .-dcp_5042.jpg   Dead wood plantings .-dcp_5045.jpg   Dead wood plantings .-dcp_5047.jpg   Dead wood plantings .-dcp_5048.jpg  

Old 01-06-2009, 02:01 AM   #5
Unicellular Fungi

How did you raise it? Did you pour any concrete around the base?
Old 01-06-2009, 02:02 AM   #6
Heron

GRUNT , up , Grunt , wheeze , up , up arrggggghhhhhhhhhhhh and away !
Attached Thumbnails
Dead wood plantings .-dcp_5049.jpg   Dead wood plantings .-dcp_5050.jpg   Dead wood plantings .-dcp_5051.jpg   Dead wood plantings .-dcp_5052.jpg   Dead wood plantings .-dcp_5053.jpg  

Old 01-06-2009, 02:09 AM   #7
Unicellular Fungi

You're kidding aren't you? You hoisted that up just the two of you> ???

What happens when you tear open your shirt? Does like the S emblem show. I would have shown my support for the tree raising by sitting in a lawn chair and cheering you on.
Old 01-06-2009, 02:26 AM   #8
WG Operations, Facilitator

That is soooooooo cool! And what a great job you did of walking us through the process with your explanations and photos! I'd love to see another photo with a bird atop the dead tree.

What you did is very creative!

BooBooBearBecky
p.s. We have an ironwood table and it took 4 hulking males to lift it!
BooBooBearBecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 02:31 AM   #9
Heron

Dec 3rd , I got my transit rod out . It now stands 21 1/2 feet to the top . 15 and 18 feet are the medium branches that the raptors are likely to sit .

Thelorax ,

No concrete was poured , the soil was saturated with water to form a thick mud as it was back filled . One reason I went to the trouble of digging the roots out was to provide for better anchoring once it was in place . It was set some 2 1/2 to 3 feet lower reerected then it was taken out . The heavy base/weight was concentrated ito the hole when it was slid in . Chains , come-a-longs were attached to the upper portion of the tree with the other ends attached to anything close by that could act as an opposing dead-man anchor and then winched up with the assistance of an automobile jack in the hole to push where needed as the winch pulled . Does this explanation make sense to you ?

Ain't it puuuuurrrrty ?

So far I have seen the shadow and call of an owl in the night but was not able to identify it in the dark . Likely a barn owl . In the daytime I have seen both red-tailed and coopers hawk sit in my new " bird perch " .

So my efforts have succeeded as hoped .

Am I allowed to take a bow ?

Edited to add ;

There were three involved in the raising in this majestic old tree . And yes , I strive to do what " can't be done " .
Attached Thumbnails
Dead wood plantings .-dcp_5058.jpg   Dead wood plantings .-dcp_5059.jpg   Dead wood plantings .-dcp_5060.jpg  
Old 01-06-2009, 04:40 AM   #10
Heron

Default A few more dead wood plantings

Number 1 and 2 pic is same planting , a short dead tree and a saguaro skeleton paired together . Hacienda creeper and honeysuckle both are planted at the base to clamber over it as a living sculture .

I like to think of these plantings as ;

1 . Living sculture

2. Vertical brushpile

3. Natural arbor for vines .

Number 3 pic was a tree that had broken in half unfortunately but it had the plus that it had a number of hollows in the trunk for some cavity nester or another . When searching for dead trees to put up vertically my criteria at this point after learrning from a few mistakes is to make sure that it is a hardwood . Softwoods will break down too fast to make the effort worth the trouble . A real plus if it has some hollows . Being picky will pay off .

# 4 . I have started rubber vine on .

# 5 . Is to be left horizontal on the ground , has a lot of insect bore holes in it , insects feed birds .
Attached Thumbnails
Dead wood plantings .-dcp_5359.jpg   Dead wood plantings .-dcp_5360.jpg   Dead wood plantings .-dcp_5384.jpg   Dead wood plantings .-dcp_5386.jpg   Dead wood plantings .-dcp_5363.jpg  

Tags
dead, dead wood, dead wood plantings, habitat, habitat conservation, habitat projects, how to, ironwood, living sculpture, natural arbor for vines, natural trellis, nature, plantings, projects, recycle dead trees, saguaro skeletons, snags, vertical woodpiles, wood